Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am first year rider and i am on kawasaki versys 2012.

Since i'm new rider i am always looking for tips on stuff to improve my self so myways are changing to get something right. Well lately When i start going into a turn i downshift and slow down and get back on the throttle little right before the turn. Well right before i do the turn when i am letting go the the clutch and getting back on the throttle I here a click or 2 and my bike gives no power until i release the throttle and try again

What could i be doing wrong? Or worst is there something wrong with the bike? I bought the bike brand new so hopefully that would be covered under warranty if that is the case. I think it's me through as it doesn't happen often

* when i say lately i mean like 3 times out of the past week lol. It's weird and i don't like it!

Whats up with the click anyways is their some type of safely thing built in there?

THANKS!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
umm so giving no power and a click or 2 is link to the chain being too tight or loose?

I don't know 100% how to check the chain and do it my self yet so i drive over to the shop tomorrow and ask one the guys real quick for me. It's free since i bought my bike there so my well let them handle it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Joe, try getting set up for a turn a bit sooner. Every bike has its idiosyncrasities but it sounds like yours does not like a downshift. If you give the bike some time to respond my bet is that it will do better.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
When I had a chain drive learner bike my rule of thumb was:

Park your bike on it's side stand. Lift the middle of the bottom chain with one finger, if it lifts more than 1/2" it needs tightening (actually I used 10 mm, but that's close enough to half an inch).

Wipe your finger clean on your pants, put your gloves on and go riding.

Incidentally, you'll get fed up with lubing your chain, fit a ScotOiler and set it for one drip every 2 to 3 minutes They only release oil when the engine is running). You might have to wipe your rear mudguard now and then, and refill the oiler from time to time, but you'll find it a lot less annoying.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Does the bike behave fine if you try doing the slowing/shifting/accelerating maneuver while going in a straight line? Meaning, try replicating the problem without the cornering.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Reading again I'm not sure what this means

"Well right before i do the turn when i am letting go the the clutch and getting back on the throttle I here a click or 2 and my bike gives no power until i release the throttle and try again "

Does this mean you pull in the clutch shift, hear a couple clicks, release the clutch and give it gas.....and have no power, repeat downshift procedure and then you have power?

If so, the clicking could be you missing the gear, probably due to not pulling the clutch in all the way.

Checking the chain tension.........
Cruiser type street bikes the swingarm is or nearly straight back and it can be easily done with 1 person, because there is no need to sit on the bike. The chain/belt does not get tighter when you sit on the bike.

Dirt bikes the swingarm is angled down, so you need to be sitting on the bike when checking and adjusting the tension.... much easier as a 2 person job. And it makes a difference how much weight you put on the bike.

Versys appears to be like a dirt bike, but I don't know that for sure.

You bought the bike new, you should have the owners manual, it is an operators maintenance and should be covered in the owners manual.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, try getting set up for a turn a bit sooner. Every bike has its idiosyncrasities but it sounds like yours does not like a downshift. If you give the bike some time to respond my bet is that it will do better.
Ok I will try set my self up little early then I do, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had a chain drive learner bike my rule of thumb was:

Park your bike on it's side stand. Lift the middle of the bottom chain with one finger, if it lifts more than 1/2" it needs tightening (actually I used 10 mm, but that's close enough to half an inch).

Wipe your finger clean on your pants, put your gloves on and go riding.

Incidentally, you'll get fed up with lubing your chain, fit a ScotOiler and set it for one drip every 2 to 3 minutes They only release oil when the engine is running). You might have to wipe your rear mudguard now and then, and refill the oiler from time to time, but you'll find it a lot less annoying.
Ok cool I will lift the chain to see how much room there is.

Thanks for the tip about the scotoiler. I will look into it, does it hook to the battery?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The first questions I have are: Where is the clicking coming from? Is it possible that the engine is lugging and making a dieseling noise?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the bike behave fine if you try doing the slowing/shifting/accelerating maneuver while going in a straight line? Meaning, try replicating the problem without the cornering.
Yes it be behaves normal. I wounder of iam downshifting too fast or aomethong idk

Well I want to replicate it but not sure what iam doing wrong lol and its only happen twice or so

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Reading again I'm not sure what this means

"Well right before i do the turn when i am letting go the the clutch and getting back on the throttle I here a click or 2 and my bike gives no power until i release the throttle and try again "

Does this mean you pull in the clutch shift, hear a couple clicks, release the clutch and give it gas.....and have no power, repeat downshift procedure and then you have power?

If so, the clicking could be you missing the gear, probably due to not pulling the clutch in all the way.

Checking the chain tension.........
Cruiser type street bikes the swingarm is or nearly straight back and it can be easily done with 1 person, because there is no need to sit on the bike. The chain/belt does not get tighter when you sit on the bike.

Dirt bikes the swingarm is angled down, so you need to be sitting on the bike when checking and adjusting the tension.... much easier as a 2 person job. And it makes a difference how much weight you put on the bike.

Versys appears to be like a dirt bike, but I don't know that for sure.

You bought the bike new, you should have the owners manual, it is an operators maintenance and should be covered in the owners manual.
The click comes after I release the clutch and begin to get back on the throttle. Once i release the throttle after having no power and roll back onto the throttle one more time thats when it gives power.the sound doesnt sound like a gear not engaging fully.

Could be not pulling the clutch all the way but not sure sorry.

I dont think the chain is like a dirt bike like you subscribed. Anyways I will look over the manual

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first questions I have are: Where is the clicking coming from? Is it possible that the engine is lugging and making a dieseling noise?
It sound like its coming from the front and It doesnt sound like the engine is lugging like I am not matching revs.

Not quite sure what a dieseling noise is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went over to the shop after work, They check out my bike for me, adjusted the clutch, checked the chain for me, road it around the block, ensured that i personally installed the crash bars correctly, checked the tires and few other things for me

They told me if it happens again bring it back and they will hook it up to the machines. The clicking noise said it possibly the camshaft?(I believe thats what he said)? could be causing it and it should auto correct it self? IF it gets worse stop by again.

They are some pretty cool guys over there and stopped what they was doing to help me without wanting any $$$. Kinda glad i bought my bike from them

~

Thanks guys for the advice above

1 - 15 of 15 Posts