Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's pretend you're back on your first bike, riding around for the hell of it. Because it's fun. Simply because you are licensed to ride.

What's something you learned that you wish you knew the first few years of riding?

**The purpose of this thread is entirely selfish. I would like as much advice crammed into my noggin as possible. Thanks.

OBAnimal

·
American Legion Rider
18,530 Posts
What do you mean, licensed to ride. You are already way ahead of some of us. So yeah, my first advice would be take a riding course and get licensed. How'd you get so far ahead?:D

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
When I started riding a special motorcycle endorsement wasn't needed and helmets weren't required. We just jumped on and rode and had fun. We learned by doing.

But as to your question of what we learned... I wished I would've kept my first motorcycle.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
In other words, what advice would I give myself, if I could go back in time; back to when I first started riding.............

I'd tell myself: buy and install a windshield, a crash bar,foot pads, and highway pegs; and get a pair of prescription goggles.

I'd tell myself: When you are told by a pretty lady that she 'likes a man on a motorcycle,' ........ignore her!! She's trouble!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, a good range of advice here! Sentimental, personal, and practical! Loving it.

What do you mean, licensed to ride. You are already way ahead of some of us. So yeah, my first advice would be take a riding course and get licensed. How'd you get so far ahead?:D
Puaha, I just want some wisdom from the wise.

OBAnimal

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
Lessons learned.

A cop on a 500 cc OHV bike, will catch you going uphill on your 350 side valve.
Early knobby tyres do not go around corners, as well as a good set of Avon street tyres.
When the 650 twin starts running on one cylinder, it is time to open the other fuel tap.
She blew, was a common expression to describe British race bikes.
This from before I started riding.
If you are dumb, and scare the cute chick on the back, she may not ride with you again.
An adult guess at what happened, carries more weight than a young persons eye witness account.
Tartan red is really a cool colour for a motorcycle frame.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
23 years ago...

I wish that I would have had a copy of Twist Of The Wrist 2 by Keith Code...and read it repeatedly and applied it constantly. I would have likely ended up racing for at least a decent period of time.

I wish that I wasn't stupid enough to ride without a helmet although I was lucky and never needed one. Add full head-to-toe gear into this mix as well.

and lastly, I wish that I would have known that if a woman didn't love riding as much as I did then she wasn't worth me dating...or marrying! Finding one that shares your love of lean angle makes a relationship worth so much more. There isn't much hotter than a woman on a supersport. Just sayin :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
18,530 Posts
OBanimal he's just being sarcastic, joking about that YOU actually have a license and he began riding without one.

I think.... :)
You got it. Actually there is one thing I wish. I wish I hadn't ridden in so much rain over the years that I began to consider it no different than dry. It isn't. It demands respect. So always slow the heck down.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't know any guys that wear SIDI boots. I don't think I know any guys that even know what SIDI boots are. I know I sure don't. We're more of a Red Wing, Timberline sort of crowd.

How many guys you know have pink accents on their SIDI boots, Eye?

Besides, "Unwrapping" a present like that is half the fun.. playing with the box....
Yeah? You can play with the pretty wrapping all you want. Even try it on if you want.

Me, I like to rip off the wrapping and get to the good stuff inside. I do, however, want to know it's not some dude with gender issues in the package before I start pawing it.

·
Premium Member
6,523 Posts
Boots

Yeh, what are SIDI boots?
I think it is an Alpinestars jacket hanging on the back of my chair.

Peter Sellers." As he ripped the silken threads from her shoulders " Brilliant sketch.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
What would l tell myself?

"That little CL450 is perfect for you. You don't need more bike."

"Don't drop that auto shop class just because you accidentally got put in the intermediate class instead of the beginner class. Instead, go talk to the teacher about getting some extra instruction."

"Your bike is black. Your jacket is black, your gloves are black, your chaps are black, and your boots are black. How the hell is anyone going to see you?"

"Yes, the speedometer says the bike will do 150 miles an hour. No, you don't need to find out if it really will or not."

"Don't go to commercial diving school, become a mechanic."

And, maybe most importantly..."That old joke about fat girls and mopeds is for insecure boys who see women as a trophy. If you like the girl, and she has a big butt, go ask her out anyway" ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the continual responses. I've been on road bikes for about 5 years now and heard about SIDI from their bicycle-side. Are they a big company in motorcycle gear as well? Cannot justify dropping half a grand for Italian boots just yet.

What would l tell myself?
"Your bike is black. Your jacket is black, your gloves are black, your chaps are black, and your boots are black. How the hell is anyone going to see you?"
Now this is something I'll take into high consideration. Thinking of getting my first set of gear in the near future. & I was thinking black! How the hell is anyone going to see me?

OBAnimal

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Put a patch, or three, right in the middle of the back of the jacket. Suddenly all sorts of people will fall all over themselves to stay away from you.

:wink:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
^^^^especially others with patches on their jackets, and those with badges. ^^^^

1 - 20 of 60 Posts