Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in my youngin days I ran 12-15 miles a day, that quickly went to 5 miles 2-3-4 times a week, then 5 miles once a month, and then 5 miles just whenever.

Over the past 8yrs I'll get started running for awhile(sometimes getting up to 5 miles) then quit for awhile. Last year I was freed from other obligations and I could do whatever I wanted.........I rode my bike alot, and bought another bike, and another this year.

In March this year I tried running a few times and just couldn't get going.

Today(well I already knew I was fat) I stepped on the scales and I was at 187lbs, I've got a good dunlap and my chest is flabby.

So I started again today, 3 miles, bout killed me.

I'm going to just run for a couple weeks, then hit the weights(continuing to run) and get myself back in shape.

I put this in writing to give me incentive to keep going, even after I wake up tomorrow morning and can't move my legs, I know I wrote it down for all to see.

I'll post up progress.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got up yesterday and legs hurt, decided at my age it would be good to do the every other day thing.........got up this morning and legs hurt worse, but I'm going to run.

Stepped on the scales and of course no change, started my run.

Normally when in the pain stage and you start exercising thru the pain, it gets worse for a little bit then you start feeling better.....then the next day its worse, and this goes on for a couple weeks then you have to start increasing to get the right amount of pain.

Today I took off running, .5m and the pain is still increasing, after a mile my legs are in pain, I'm done. Hit the shower, barely stand up, now the pain is actually less than when I started the run. I'm thinking 3 miles might have been too much to start.

So I'm going to start on daily 1 mile runs until the pain starts going away, then increase distance.

Getting out of shape is easy and enjoyable, getting back in shape sucks.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Gradually is the best way. If you over-do it, there is a chance of injury which won't help anything.

You will be able to increase the distance pretty quickly.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I've found that my 50+ year old knees just can't handle running any longer. Been concentrating on riding my bicycle instead. I hear you on starting over though. The first few weeks in the spring are killers.:)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found that my 50+ year old knees just can't handle running any longer. Been concentrating on riding my bicycle instead. I hear you on starting over though. The first few weeks in the spring are killers.:)
My knees use to have a tough time running, mainly right knee it was busted when I was 19, and throughout the years it has been a problem. I tried bike machines and those no impact elliptical machines but I just didn't like them.

My bro-n-law introduced me to Merrell running shoes. The claim is they make you run more on the balls of your feet, using ankle and calves as shock absorbers, I thought no way a shoe can make you run a certain way.

They have thick arch support, a little on the balls of your feet and hardly none on the heel.

First run I noticed right off my heels weren't hitting the ground, a couple miles into the run it felt like a red hot buck knife slicing my calves........but since then I haven't got pain in my knees(from running), I'm 53.

Back to progress

After several 1 mile runs and basically not breaking a sweat, legs not hurting, I felt confident to up it a bit. Today the first and last 1/2 mile was at resting pace and the 1.5 miles in between was at a pretty good pace. I felt like going more, but I'll stick with this for a while. My T had about 1/3 the sweat it takes to be losing weight.

As of right now my legs don't hurt, I'll see what happens in the morning.

·
Hooker
921 Posts
I'd spend the first month just walking, and getting your body used to moving around a lot. During this time, reconsider your diet 'n such.

If you use smartphone apps, there's a free one called C25K (Couch to 5k). It tells you when to walk, when to switch to a run, then when to walk again, and keeps track of your previous runs. The idea is that within 30 days of exercise, you'll be able to run 5k. It's pretty neat. You start off pretty easy - walking a couple of minutes, running a minute, walking a couple, then running one, and so on.

Also, I never believed it until I found a good pair of running shoes on sale, but good running shoes make a whole world of difference. Those cheap Wal-Mart tennis shoes just aren't made to support your feet and legs that well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If your running because you love it then by all means run until your shoes fall off but if your doing it just for weight loss man several short sprints along with walking / light jogging has really worked for me. I'm 41 yrs old and lost 40 lbs since may of this year by doing push ups, pull ups, and sprints two or three time a week.

Its a little embarrassing but four months ago I could only do maybe two push ups and I couldn't even do one pull up:( Now I'm doing sets of eight inverted push ups and the same with pull ups, I'm beginning to be a believer in (low rep) (high weight and or high intensity) work outs.

With all that said maybe the most important thing I've changed is my food. I quit eating all the garbage I'd been putting in my body and started just eating meat, vegetables, and fruit that's all. Absolutely no sugar! I know it's delicious but it's poison. You cant out run a bad diet or I couldn't anyway.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't do very good at getting back to running, same thing, run for awhile quit for whatever reason then get started back.......each start back was worse, less running and more pain, I actully gained a little weight over the winter.

I hit the weights Friday, elbows hurt bad over the weekend, then again Monday, elbows don't hurt as much today.

Weights then a short run, see if I can keep that up.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I had really bad exercise induced asthma when I was a kid, so I have this phobia about running. But, I do go to the gym and do cardio and lift 6 days a week most weeks.
My wife used to be one of those people who would go do some fad workout hard and heavy for a few weeks, burn herself out and then not go back for weeks.
About six months ago she started getting up with me and going in the mornings. Soon after she started lifting withe me and now she doesn't miss a workout. The inches are just falling off of her right now.
IMO, you set the alarm, get your arse out of bed and get it over with before you've had a chance to talk yourself out of it over the course of the day. I've been doing it for about 15 years, now that I'm 50 it helps me to work out my morning soreness.

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
I hope none of you ever get major hurt in an accident. Hard to work out is just an understatement. It's all I can do some days just to get up let alone workout. The exercise I get around the ranch is about it. Some days what needs to be done gets put off to the next or next. I have a plan but whether I can pull it off or not is questionable. But I think riding has got to be good for you by it's self. But even that is getting hard. It's just not good with injuries. So do what you can while you can. You may be glad you did. I've just about used all mine up though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had really bad exercise induced asthma when I was a kid, so I have this phobia about running. But, I do go to the gym and do cardio and lift 6 days a week most weeks.
My wife used to be one of those people who would go do some fad workout hard and heavy for a few weeks, burn herself out and then not go back for weeks.
About six months ago she started getting up with me and going in the mornings. Soon after she started lifting withe me and now she doesn't miss a workout. The inches are just falling off of her right now.
IMO, you set the alarm, get your arse out of bed and get it over with before you've had a chance to talk yourself out of it over the course of the day. I've been doing it for about 15 years, now that I'm 50 it helps me to work out my morning soreness.
yes thats what you gotta do, but its hard to pass up the coffee pot on the way to the weight room.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I got hurt pretty bad several years ago Hog, and like you still deal with it every day. I can't do everything I used to, and can't work out like I used to either, but by doing what I can and concentrating on that I find it helps, and I'm actually getting some strength and ability back I thought was gone forever. It's a very slow process, but when I see a little progress, at 54 years old and with the limitations I have, man, I get stoked!

For example, 3 years ago I couldn't squat down without holding on to something for balance and to pull myself back up. Now, as long as I'm careful, I can do 3 sets of 10 free-standing squats with 110 pounds on my shoulders. Sure, a real weight lifter would laugh at that, but when I keep in mind that at one point I had to have help in even walking, I get a real lift out of that.

So my point is, do what you can. It might not be easy, and it might not be much, but when you start to see even the smallest bit of improvement it will make you feel great!

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I got hurt pretty bad several years ago Hog, and like you still deal with it every day. I can't do everything I used to, and can't work out like I used to either, but by doing what I can and concentrating on that I find it helps, and I'm actually getting some strength and ability back I thought was gone forever. It's a very slow process, but when I see a little progress, at 54 years old and with the limitations I have, man, I get stoked!

For example, 3 years ago I couldn't squat down without holding on to something for balance and to pull myself back up. Now, as long as I'm careful, I can do 3 sets of 10 free-standing squats with 110 pounds on my shoulders. Sure, a real weight lifter would laugh at that, but when I keep in mind that at one point I had to have help in even walking, I get a real lift out of that.

So my point is, do what you can. It might not be easy, and it might not be much, but when you start to see even the smallest bit of improvement it will make you feel great!
I'm not what you would call a "real weightlifter" but it's hard to laugh at anyone in their 50's doing squats of any kind. I quit doing squats a couple of years ago when my back started hurting. I've seen folks in their 50's, 60's and 70's completely change their lives with just the basic of workouts.

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
I get my workout with chainsaw and splitter. Problem is balance right now. You have no idea how many times I fall down. Just glad I don't have brittle bones!!! Put I do wish I could walk more than 1/4 mile. But even that is an improvement from the walker I was using 6 months ago. Slow? Got to be another word for so slow you can hardly see a difference.:D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
We have two gyms at my job. I use to work out religiously. Then got sick a couple of years ago and cannot get that old vibe back on a consistant basis. On again, off again. I started juicing two weeks ago and I feel my energy coming back. I will start power walking or hop on the stationary bike soon.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Exercise

I got stopped in my tracks on Sunday. Had been working on one of my boats. Up and down a ladder, with gear, bending and working at funny angles.
Lower back seized solid, could barely move. Had to get the body snatchers to take me to the clinic. Doc is an old neighbour of mine, ex rugby player like me, drinks quality beer.
They gave me giggle juice so I could move. For the first time a doctor showed me how to take out the charlie horse. Said the muscles were rock solid.
Bend knees and bend forward, using hands on knees for support, as far as possible and hold. Very painful at the time. You can feel the lower back muscles untwisting. Using hands on thighs, push yourself up and lean back as far as possible. Then rotate shoulder back and forth. Well bugger me, I am back in action.
He said lying down is the worst thing. Got to fix the problem.
He gave me some yellow and some brown pills. Took them off the shelf at the clinic. We are a bit less informal on the Island. Ambulance driver, parked the ambulance, and gave me a lift home in his Toyota with heated seats.
So busted Sunday, clinic Monday, take it easy Tuesday, on bike Wednesday.
Next time, I will take a couple of pain killers and do my stretches.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
On the move.

Shirley and I walked along the beach on Sunday. Patio at pub was full, so walked some more to another pub. Exercise is great.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
I run sometimes to the fridge for a beer
Shirley and I walked along the beach on Sunday. Patio at pub was full, so walked some more to another pub. Exercise is great.

Unkle Crusty*
I like 12oz. curls and the exerciser to get them too. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts