Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
motorcycle had batterry fully charged for 2 days and started it, let it run for about 5 minutes. tge shut ut iff went bacj about 3 minutes later bike wouldnt start like the battery dead dead.any ideas beside battery bike is. 1700 Truimph Thunderbird Commander

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,436 Posts
You need a multimeter to check the battery or take it out and have it checked. Don't know if your bike is new enough to have a small battery drain due to onboard computer or not but it's possibly you have an older battery on it's last legs anyway so not holding good charge due to sulfating and letting it idle just wasn't enough to recharge it after starting it so when you went back to start it it just didn't have enough. But a multimeter will tell you just how far it has discharged.

Font Rectangle Number Circle Parallel

·
Zip
2,903 Posts
If you charge the battery and it tests OK (per @hogcowboy's chart), keep the voltmeter connected and measure the voltage while you're pressing the start button. It should stay above 10V.

Check for loose or corroded connections at the battery terminals, and also where the battery negative cable connects to the engine or frame, and where the positive cable connects to the starter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm getting a new battery just to be safe.. bike is 2014. I think is has a drain security type. Today I checked out the charger and tried to start it again but when I turned on key the lights instrument lights coming on flickered and the neutral did show at first, then once everything settled down all lights worked, tried to start and only a click

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,436 Posts
Did you fully charge the battery before you installed it or tried to start the bike? That's required of all new batteries.

·
Premium Member
10,601 Posts
Did you fully charge the battery before you installed it or tried to start the bike? That's required of all new batteries.
Probably mentioned in the instructions. At least it is with the batteries I have purchased. Usually minimum 24 hours at low amps. Normally about 2. Or use the battery tender for two days. Works for me. AND. Every battery is connecte to a tender, except the ones that will be recycled. UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts