Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm 16 going on 17, and am looking into getting a used motorcycle, probably this summer. I have grown up on dritbikes; going from an 80, to a 135, to a 230. I have taken, and passed, a MSF course. I plan on getting my license soon, although winter is coming soon to me, in Missouri, I still want to have it. I have been thinking of getting a bike for a while now, and wondered what you guys thought of my choices at bikes so far. Luckily for me, there are lots of used bikes available in the STL.

Luckily for me, my dad and cousins are engineers, most of whom have bikes, so mechanical problems shouldn't be an issue.

Just looking for some senior sport bike riders, my family rides bid dogs and sportsters. All of these bikes are under $2000, leaving money for me to get some gear. All of these bikes have ads on craigslist, so I can post them to see pics of the bike.

P.S. - I've done a fair amount of research, and I think that I'm pretty level-headed and can control a decent amount of power. I am responsible, getting good grades and working and all. I know a lot of people say its the rider and not the bike, but what do you think of the bikes? Any suggestions on different ones in the same price range?

My ideas of choices:

92 seca II
86 ninja 600
93 ninja 500
95 katana
93 cbr 600 - not sure on how powerful
2001 katana
87 cbr hurricane
90 cbr hurricane
92 ninja 500

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
They're all good bikes really. What size are the katanas? My personal choice would probably be one of the Hurricanes or a 500 Ninja. The Ninja would be lighter, but I have a fondness for Honda bikes. The CBR-600 would not be as comfortable for me I believe.

Another good bike would be an older GSX-R. I am particularly fond of the looks of the 86 GSX-R 750. I almost bought one to rebuild once, but after closer inspection, I saw what looked like damage to the frame around the downtube. I noticed that you do not have any cruisers thrown in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the katana's are 600's. I'll look into the older CBR's though.

Yeah, no cruisers for me. I took the MSF course on little 250 cruisers, and just really don't like the seating position, i.e. feet up. I like the more neutral dirt bike seat, or something more aggressive.

Oh, and about comfort, I'm like 5'11 160ish, something around that.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Most of what you're gonna see on here for suggestions for a first street bike (regardless of dirt history) are 2 cylinder bikes. They've got a smoother power delivery as compared to something like the cbr which will change in power delivery once those pistons are moving (over a few thousand rpm) they start to deliver more and more power (think linear curve vs exponential). You don't wanna be accidentally pull that throttle too hard one time and get thrown off the back of your bike.

and I've heard the katana's are a little heavy for a first bike (never ridden one though). The ninja 500 would be a good first bike though.

·
9,208 Posts
Yeah, I think I have to agree with Justin on this. I think I would have to recomment the 500 Ninja

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I get the linear vs exponential curve idea. So, what 2 cylinder bikes do you recommend? Please keep in mind my budget of like $2000

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Ninja 250 or 500 are good, 650 is too, but doubt you'll find one for $2,000 or less. Honda Nighthawk 250, Rebel 250, Suzuki makes a 250 too, think it's a TU250 or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But what about the older ninja 600's, like the 86? I know that they're not like today's 600's, but where are they on the linear vs exponential?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and what about the FZR600's? I found an 88, a 91, a 94, and a 96 each for around $2000. I think that they're pretty powerful, but what's your opinion?

·
9,208 Posts
Those are not bad bikes Blaster, but I would still recommend, out of all that you have listed, goin with the 500 Ninja. One thing about the inline-4 600 bikes (especially the yahama bikes) is that they love to be ridden like they were stolen. It just sounds too easy to get yourself in over your head with one of them. Thats just my opinion though.

·
9,208 Posts
I wouldn't mind having an 85 Ninja. I actually like the looks of the older crotchrockets over the newer ones. As long as he's not too heavy handed, that looks like it wouldn't be a bad beginner's bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I was thinking devildog. I like the look of them, they're relatively moderately priced, I won't really grow out of it fast, and there are plenty of parts and people who've worked on them.

I'm really leaning towards the older ninjas, or maybe the seca ii. I really like the naked/streetfighter look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts