Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after sitting for about 35 years.

I'm new here, still building my posts so that I can share the pictures of my bike and the restore it needs to get back on the road. The '67 CB77 was last tagged (expired) Dec. of 1980, so I need to do a lot of internal cleaning, but hopefully very little replacing or repairing. Still....a lot of work. I'll probably be leaning pretty heavily on you guys and gals that know the ins and outs of restoring a bike that's been sitting for so many years.

:coffee:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the project!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DianneB, that is a really nice looking Dream you have there, and thanks for the welcome. I found honda305 dot com quite awhile ago, when I first asked Dad if I could have his bike. It's one of my favorites, as I'm sure this site will be, too. Thanks for the reminder, though. I should share the restore with them, as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cmonSTART, I'm looking forward to sharing the restore, but more than that, I'm looking forward to getting it to START!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is that some spare HRS plate leaning against the wall in the background?
Some HRS and one piece of CRS, both thin sheets (0.080) for fabricating various small parts. The CRS is an old road sign and it is SOME hard - hard on saw blades too LOL! I always have some stock around but never seem to have the size/shape I need :frown:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cylinders seem to turn okay when I kick down on the kick-starter, but it's been sitting for so long, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and put some oil down the spark plug openings just for good measure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After sitting for so long, should I plan on cracking the case? Will everything need to be cleaned out? It hasn't leaked any oil in all those years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Rusty gas tank

Is it okay to link to a facebook album after I get my 15 posts?
Because I'd really like to share what I've done so far with you all.

Well, I just tried, but I guess you have to be a friend or something like that, so I'll just have to share them directly, I guess.
GEDC0114.jpg

GEDC0115.jpg

GEDC0118.jpg

GEDC0119.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
OMG you have got a job ahead of you on that gas tank! You may want to consider getting it professionally cleaned and coated. You could do it yourself but it is going to be a LOT of work!

Be sure you disassemble the gas cap, wire-brush all the rust off all the parts, clean the vent holes, and spray with a fuel-proof paint, and make a new cork gasket for it so it doesn't contaminate the tank after it is clean.

The petcock should go straight into the garbage - nothing salvageable there!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts
Man oh man you have some work ahead of you on that tank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OMG you have got a job ahead of you on that gas tank! You may want to consider getting it professionally cleaned and coated. You could do it yourself but it is going to be a LOT of work!

Be sure you disassemble the gas cap, wire-brush all the rust off all the parts, clean the vent holes, and spray with a fuel-proof paint, and make a new cork gasket for it so it doesn't contaminate the tank after it is clean.

The petcock should go straight into the garbage - nothing salvageable there!
I'm determined to do as much of this work as I can myself. This was my Dads bike and he passed it on to me, so I feel a certain responsibility. So I you-tubed everything they had on removing rust from gas tanks (there's a lot of approaches, apparently). I decided on a course of action and have started the long process. I'll post some pictures of what I've done so far.

I have a replacement gasket for the cap on order from David Spears, should be here soon. I had to wait a little because one of the mirrors in the order had to be back ordered.

You're probably right about the petcock. But...I also ordered some parts for it. The bowl itself had a couple of holes through it, so I'm going to TRY to put what's left back together. If you're right, I'll just get one of those cheapo replacements off ebay for 20 bucks or whatever. If I CAN fix it myself, I'm not sure if I should find a reserve fuel tube or just leave it out. Is it something easy to find or jerry-rig?
GEDC0121.jpg
I found some Nuts, Bolts, and Screws, etc to put inside the tank, and duct taped the openings closed. Wrapped it well in a soft fabric and duct taped it. Packed it tightly in the dryer and let 'er spin.

GEDC0125.jpg
After spinning had done as much as it could I dumped out the screws and the slurry that had formed. Then filled the tank to the brim with vinegar and a quart of peroxide.

GEDC0129.jpg
From the vinegar/peroxide rinse I moved on to citric acid with detergent, then gave it a good swabbing out with acetone, then back to more citric acid/detergent. Rinsing well after each step, of course. So now it sits with citric acid/detergent, waiting for me to decide enough is enough and I have a working petcock so that I can refill it with some good gas. I need to check it again sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Uncle used to take a air blaster gun hooked up to the compressor and ductape it to the hole, and fasten the button down to dry out tanks. he said the tough part was keeping the compressor tank air dry. He had a custom made quart jar and a water dryer system with dri-z-air in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uncle used to take a air blaster gun hooked up to the compressor and ductape it to the hole, and fasten the button down to dry out tanks. he said the tough part was keeping the compressor tank air dry. He had a custom made quart jar and a water dryer system with dri-z-air in it.
I'm thinking that I'll just keep the tank full of a weak acid, like the citric/detergent mix. Then, when everything's ready, I'll rinse it out with a gas/oil mix followed by a couple of gas rinses before filling it up with regular gas. I understand the risk of "flash rust" but think I can avoid it if the tank never really gets dry or exposed to air. Is that realistic? Of course, I'll be installing inline fuel filters to both carbs, just to be safe. I should be receiving the petcock parts on Monday:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
You know that with the amount of rust in that tank, even if you get it REALLY clean, it will develop again VERY quickly.

Now would be a good time to line the tank (or have it lined) so you don't have to worry about it again (in your lifetime!).

I have cleaned rusty tanks only to have to go back and clean them time and again (and replace clogged filters) until I got POed enough to coat the damned things and be done with it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know that with the amount of rust in that tank, even if you get it REALLY clean, it will develop again VERY quickly.

Now would be a good time to line the tank (or have it lined) so you don't have to worry about it again (in your lifetime!).

I have cleaned rusty tanks only to have to go back and clean them time and again (and replace clogged filters) until I got POed enough to coat the damned things and be done with it!
Thanks for the input, Dianne! That's why I'm here. I need the insight you all have for working on these old bikes! This is new to me, so I'm not sure I'm making "good" decisions. So....I'll definitely look into it. Is there any best brands that you've used in the past? My wife, Sue, pointed out to me that I shouldn't worry TOO much about the money I put into it since it was given to me. She's a gem, I tell ya!

Also, a couple of posts above I asked a couple of other questions....could you tell me what you think?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts