Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been off the road for about 7 years. Looking forward to getting back on 2 wheels. Any suggestions on good restarter bikes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'd recommend thinking about what type of riding you will be doing most, then start from there.

7 years isn't really too long, so if you are pretty experienced, it should all come back quickly. An ARC course or something similar can help get the rust off.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and welcome back to riding. Hopefully you will find a bike that fits both you and your riding style.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Welcome to the funny farm(at times) from Texas. 7 years? It will come back like it was yesterday.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I got back on this past Fall after 20 years...l had ridden in the dirt for some of that time, more quads than 2-wheelers...but it came right back. I am actually a better rider now than before, because l think more about safety and l don't take being upright for granted.

I had this itch that l had been wanting to scratch since high school, l always wanted a sport bike. So l bought an SV650 and it has been great to get back on the road on. At some point l will buy another bike for trips and just use this one as a commuter.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Welcome from COLD Manitoba!

I started riding with a Honda 50 at age 15, then a Honda 305, was away from riding a few years and the had a Harley FLH in my 30s. I was away again for almost 26 years when I picked up a 1962 Honda 50 as a restoration project last fall and that rekindled my interest.

The 50 was too small to go anywhere - I live WAY out in the country - so when a Honda Shadow came up at a good price, I picked that up but that never felt quite "right" to me. Against my better judgment I found myself looking at Harleys again and when I sat on a 2002 FXD I knew I found the right bike for me. I bought it the day winter set in on the prairies so I have only put a dozen miles on it but it just feels like the perfect fit for me. Unfortunately 3 bikes in 3 months was a bit much (financially) and I am just lucky a friend of mine wanted the 750 and offered to buy it as soon as I mentioned selling it.

With you only being away 7 years I think the right bike for you would probably be the bike you enjoyed most when you last rode. Or, if there is a bike you always wanted, now might be the time for it. Go look at bikes, sit on them, start them up, maybe go for a little test drive (if possible) - maybe something will speak to you like the FXD did for me.

Welcome back! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
New memebers from Texas and a big question...

Hi all.... We are Bobby and Jo we live in the Dallas Texas area. Married almost 3 years. we ride every weekend if weather permits.
We own a 2001 Yamaha road star sliverado. We are wondering what the best type of tire would be to buy for the rear of our bike(going to get a new front one also).
When we bought this bike last may we were told the rear tire was new. but i cant imagine a tire doing this is such a short time!!
we were going to ride today and what we saw before we rode was scary. Rear tire just peeling apart in many places and it was not like this 3 months ago when we had the tire off. We have a Metzeler on there now ,white wall .we really do not care about the white wall we just want a tire that is going to hold up. and more like a touring tire would be best for us. we ride around Dallas all the time. I took pictures of this tire today. We rode a longggg way yesterday and are thankful we made it home!!
any input would be much appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
New ride

I was off the bikes for a while during my first marriage.
Once free, a bike was part of my plans. Had an idea what I wanted, good street and highway bike, and sporty.
Went to the bike show and sat on most everything. Had long chats with my friend and fellow worker from motorcycle shop days. SV650 Suzuki seemed like a good choice.
Went to Suzuki shop. Frank asked the right questions about my riding skills, or lack of. Showed me a used SV650, had a test ride and a deal was done.

A while later I thought I needed a bigger bike, vintage type with a drive shaft for winter riding. Moto Guzzi and XS1100 Yamaha were on the list. Did an online comparison. Yami fared better and was one third the price. I later bolted a side car on to Yami.

After a bunch of miles on the 650, I thought I needed more giddy up. Back to see Frank. Left with an SV1000 Suzuki. Sold the 650 to a neighbour.

Then I decided I needed a new winter bike, this time smaller for ease of riding, and cheap insurance. Went to see Super Dave a knowledgeable scrap yard guy. He suggested a Yamaha 400 Seca. Found a run down Seca at another place, did a bunch of work on it, and that is my new winter ride.

I dropped some money on the 650, but I do not care. Motorcycles are not my primary investment strategy. But they are cheaper than running a newish cage, especially as I am on a ferry often.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
BobbyandJo said:
Hi all.... We are Bobby and Jo we live in the Dallas Texas area. Married almost 3 years. we ride every weekend if weather permits.
We own a 2001 Yamaha road star sliverado. We are wondering what the best type of tire would be to buy for the rear of our bike(going to get a new front one also).
When we bought this bike last may we were told the rear tire was new. but i cant imagine a tire doing this is such a short time!!
we were going to ride today and what we saw before we rode was scary. Rear tire just peeling apart in many places and it was not like this 3 months ago when we had the tire off. We have a Metzeler on there now ,white wall .we really do not care about the white wall we just want a tire that is going to hold up. and more like a touring tire would be best for us. we ride around Dallas all the time. I took pictures of this tire today. We rode a longggg way yesterday and are thankful we made it home!!
any input would be much appreciated.
Metzler is normally an okay tire. Do you ride two up all the time? So maybe the wrong one for the weight. I have Michelin Commander 2's on my Harley which is equal to if not much heavier than yours. But a Metzeler 888 or Dunlop Elite are two others that should be fine. Avon has some as well. Most any major brand should have something for your bike. Maybe you need to go with a car tire because of weight issues.

And......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tires..

well Bobby rides to work weekdays. and we ride weekends...It is mostly he that rides alone. i was thinking to try Michelin! Bobby does like a wider tire . we had touring tires on our last bike. hes lighter than i am , he tells me its easier to drive when i am on the back!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts