Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get this ignition coil and spark plug to light.

I connected a 6v batterys negative lead to the metal frame and flicked the positive lead against the protruding wire, I am seeing sparks coming from the point of conact but nothing from the spark plug.

according to my voltmeter the coil has 30k ohm resistance end to end and the spark plug has 80ish k ohms negative to positive and 0ohm negative to negative.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hook it up to the bike then kick it over. You cannot get a spark unless properly hooked up to the bike. If your multimeter reads proper resistance, it should be okay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, though how do I go about hooking this up with the point advancer and battery to do that? The advancer has a single wire similar to the one in the image

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The coil should not connect to the metal frame; you should read a few Ohms between what appears to be a green wire that is connected to a condenser, and the longer black wire. That black wire would go to the battery positive, and the green wire and condenser to the points, which connect it to the battery negative through the chassis ground. Assuming you are not touching the meter lead ends when taking your measurements, the reading from the black wire to the metal frame should be infinite. The contact inside the plug cap should read somewhere between 20 and 50 kOhms to either the black or green wire. To make a spark, you should connect the plug body to the battery negative and to the metal frame (because the condenser needs chassis ground too) and briefly connect the green wire to battery negative, as the points would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did get it to spark by connecting it to the frame and clipping ground of the battery to the frame and touching the positive lead to the ground wire. I am now trying to wire the advancer: here is an image to referemce:

Ignition Coil Leftmost (1 pin)

Advancer second from left (1 pin)

Gearbox second from right (4 pin)

Battery Rightmost (4 pin, Positive, negative and a loopback)

So how do I now connect the advancer and coil to have the plug spark when I kick the starter?

Attachments

·
Biker
1,534 Posts
You really should have the condenser hooked across the points, it helps the coil work better and absorbs the 'back voltage that will otherwise pit up the points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts