Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been wanting to get a bike for a while, Ive saved up the money for the actual bike now I just need to put away money for gear and insurance.

Ive never ridden before and a friend of mine suggested a Ninja 250r as a starter. My questions are this: what is a good year and or mileage for a 250r for around $2,000 USD? I know what to expect out of a car for that price but not a bike.

My other questions are about the gear, like what kind of helmet, jacket, gloves (boots?) are good to get? This could mean the difference between life and death so I dont want to get some shotty gear.

Thank you to all those that take the time to help, I appreciate it.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Used bike prices will vary depending on location and time of year. Sometimes just being in the right place at the right time and being patient enough will net a good deal. You should be able to find one for around $2000 that might be a few years old, but gently used and maintained. Beware of the "too good to be true" scams out there. If something is fishy, walk away.

Helmets that are DOT approved provide good head protection for the style of helmet. (1/2 helmets won't protect you near as well as a full face) Personally, I look for DOT and Snell rated helmets and feel safe wearing them. You can get a decent Helmet for $70 or spend $700 on one. Odds are the $700 helmet will have better graphics and might be a tad lighter and quieter on the highway, but the amount of protection is going to be pretty close between the two.

CE-rated armor in jackets provides decent protection. Being comfortable is another important factor.

The best hand and foot protection is purpose-built motorcycle boot and gloves. Even sturdy leather work boots and work gloves will provide better protection than nothing at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Dodsfall. Just find gear that you are comfortable in. There is nothing worse than riding your bike and wearing gear that doesn't fit right or is too restricting. This can cause you to have an accident. Avoiding one in the first place is better than having an accident and relying on your gear to save you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used bike prices will vary depending on location and time of year. Sometimes just being in the right place at the right time and being patient enough will net a good deal. You should be able to find one for around $2000 that might be a few years old, but gently used and maintained. Beware of the "too good to be true" scams out there. If something is fishy, walk away.

Helmets that are DOT approved provide good head protection for the style of helmet. (1/2 helmets won't protect you near as well as a full face) Personally, I look for DOT and Snell rated helmets and feel safe wearing them. You can get a decent Helmet for $70 or spend $700 on one. Odds are the $700 helmet will have better graphics and might be a tad lighter and quieter on the highway, but the amount of protection is going to be pretty close between the two.

CE-rated armor in jackets provides decent protection. Being comfortable is another important factor.

The best hand and foot protection is purpose-built motorcycle boot and gloves. Even sturdy leather work boots and work gloves will provide better protection than nothing at all.

Thank you for the reply. I was kind of iffy about the helmets because I always thought that they were hundreds of dollars normally, and when I saw some for ~$100 I was put off a bit.

As for the rest of the gear I will take what you said to heart when I buy them.

What kind of mileage per year would be gently used? For instance, a car that has an average of 10,000-12,000 miles per year could be considered gently used. I'm not sure if that's something you could answer, but I appreciate it either way :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Dodsfall. Just find gear that you are comfortable in. There is nothing worse than riding your bike and wearing gear that doesn't fit right or is too restricting. This can cause you to have an accident. Avoiding one in the first place is better than having an accident and relying on your gear to save you
I agree, that seems like very sound advice. Gear can't be too safe if it hinders your movements while riding.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My other questions are about the gear, like what kind of helmet, jacket, gloves (boots?) are good to get?
That will depend on when you're riding too. I have two jackets - a mesh jacket for when it's warmer cause it flows the air. I can put in the liner for when the temps drop a bit. When the temps drops more, you'll want something that blocks the wind as you'll get cold quickly. For that I have a leather jacket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will depend on when you're riding too. I have two jackets - a mesh jacket for when it's warmer cause it flows the air. I can put in the liner for when the temps drop a bit. When the temps drops more, you'll want something that blocks the wind as you'll get cold quickly. For that I have a leather jacket.
Also great advice. I'll get a mesh jacket since its summer her on the east coast, and then down the road I'll invest in a leather one as well.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Since l haven't noticed anyone say it yet, l will just go ahead...if you haven't done so yet, l HIGHLY recommend taking the BRC. It is inexpensive and you learn A LOT in just a couple of days. And it is a lot of fun too!

When l bought my bike last Fall l also looked at a 2005 Ninja 500...the same bike as you are talking about, just a little more engine. It was in great shape, with 14k miles on it, and the guy wanted $2100 for it (Seattle). I really liked it but it was a bit small for me. I see 250's in similar condition/mileage for a few hundred dollars less. And a good hint in regards to small sport bikes: A lot of women start on them, and they generally take better care of them and don't ride them as hard. My bike had 2 women as previous owners and was in fantastic shape when l bought it.

In regards to gear, this varies from one guy to the next. I follow the ATGATT rule...All The Gear, All The Time. l bought an expensive helmet because it was bright, had a cool design, fit really well, and l liked the vents. It cost over $600. l could have gotten an equally safe helmet for way less. But l wanted it so l bought it. I ride daily (weather permitting) so l thought, my noggin will be in this hat a lot, so l should like it. To each their own.

Boots, l bought Sedici sport boots at Cycle Gear for about $100. They have been great.

Sedici textile sport jacket was a gift, l think they go for like $179, at Cycle Gear as well.

Pants, l wear kevlar Draggin jeans that l find on Ebay for about $60 a pair. They retail for over a hundred.

And the second-most important piece of equipment l wear (next to a helmet) is good gloves. Specifically, mine are Dainese Ducati Corse armored leather. They retail for about $359, but l scored a pair on Ebay for $110. Head's up on these, or any other Dainese product l have ever seen...they run small. I normally wear an XL glove, but these are 2XL. The reason why l feel that gloves are so important is that you use your hands to operate the clutch, throttle, and front brake...the 3 most important components on the bike, IMO. The worst thing a guy can do is throw on a pair of crappy gloves that don't fit right and give him good feel and control. That's just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lilturk. Since you are a beginner, go shop around and find the gear that is comfortable for you. IFor me, it was part of the new rider experience. Going to the bike shops finding gear in your price range and buying what suits you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since l haven't noticed anyone say it yet, l will just go ahead...if you haven't done so yet, l HIGHLY recommend taking the BRC. It is inexpensive and you learn A LOT in just a couple of days. And it is a lot of fun too!

When l bought my bike last Fall l also looked at a 2005 Ninja 500...the same bike as you are talking about, just a little more engine. It was in great shape, with 14k miles on it, and the guy wanted $2100 for it (Seattle). I really liked it but it was a bit small for me. I see 250's in similar condition/mileage for a few hundred dollars less. And a good hint in regards to small sport bikes: A lot of women start on them, and they generally take better care of them and don't ride them as hard. My bike had 2 women as previous owners and was in fantastic shape when l bought it.

In regards to gear, this varies from one guy to the next. I follow the ATGATT rule...All The Gear, All The Time. l bought an expensive helmet because it was bright, had a cool design, fit really well, and l liked the vents. It cost over $600. l could have gotten an equally safe helmet for way less. But l wanted it so l bought it. I ride daily (weather permitting) so l thought, my noggin will be in this hat a lot, so l should like it. To each their own.

Boots, l bought Sedici sport boots at Cycle Gear for about $100. They have been great.

Sedici textile sport jacket was a gift, l think they go for like $179, at Cycle Gear as well.

Pants, l wear kevlar Draggin jeans that l find on Ebay for about $60 a pair. They retail for over a hundred.

And the second-most important piece of equipment l wear (next to a helmet) is good gloves. Specifically, mine are Dainese Ducati Corse armored leather. They retail for about $359, but l scored a pair on Ebay for $110. Head's up on these, or any other Dainese product l have ever seen...they run small. I normally wear an XL glove, but these are 2XL. The reason why l feel that gloves are so important is that you use your hands to operate the clutch, throttle, and front brake...the 3 most important components on the bike, IMO. The worst thing a guy can do is throw on a pair of crappy gloves that don't fit right and give him good feel and control. That's just my $.02.

Thank you for all of that info. It's funny you mention women as a previous owner, I just found a women owned 08' or 09' 250r on Craigslist with 11k that has been garage kept. She wants a little more than I'd like to spend but I might be able to negotiate :)

Thanks for all the specific gear recommendations, it's nice to know what brands are of good quality out there to either get, or use as a reference point to compare other similar gear to.

As for the BRC, it looks to be only $20 here in MD, I'll do some more research on it but I definitely want to be as safe as possible when I finally get on the road.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Thank you for all of that info. It's funny you mention women as a previous owner, I just found a women owned 08' or 09' 250r on Craigslist with 11k that has been garage kept. She wants a little more than I'd like to spend but I might be able to negotiate :)

Thanks for all the specific gear recommendations, it's nice to know what brands are of good quality out there to either get, or use as a reference point to compare other similar gear to.

As for the BRC, it looks to be only $20 here in MD, I'll do some more research on it but I definitely want to be as safe as possible when I finally get on the road.
The best $20 you will ever spend :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Where are you finding it in MD for $20? $175 at the MVA and more at other places

1 - 12 of 12 Posts