Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It hasn't taken long and after being stuck in traffic today I now hate my stock seat on my Vaquero but SOB a new seat is some serious BS on price. I'm going to need to put on a dress so I look pretty when Corbin or Mustang F's me. I just bought the bike and I'm hurting so a new seat is out of the question for a long while so I've been looking at other options for comfort on long rides and I ran across gel seat pads. I've seen them run anywhere from $30-90 and I'm considering buying one. Anyone have one? How well do they work? What model and how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you dont mind ugly, AirHawk motorcycle pads made commuting on my Shadow 1100 much more tolerable. Definitely extends seat time. I think I paid 60 dollars for mine.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I just paid near $1,300 for the Corbin seat, backrest, and tourpak pad on my Limited.

You get what you pay for.

Or rather....

You do NOT get what you do NOT pay for.

It is worth it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I never liked a gel pad, I guess somebody somewhere does.
I see people using them wooden beads, that feels like punishment to me.

A seat upgrade is a wonderful thing, the Mustang on our VTX is wonderful.
(The bike came with it.)

BUT; I have ridden on stock seats for years. There is a curtain amount of truth to breaking yourself in. The more you ride the less it becomes an issue.
And the more the seat gets broken in. I have about three seat options for my old sporty, but the one I keep going back to is my oldest and most broken in.

You may find its not so bad after a few weeks. If them bicycle guys can get use to what they call a seat! :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
The thing I've heard about Gel in general is they get very hot left in the sun. Never actually had one so don't know that for fact but makes sense. I think I'd look at wool but even that sound hot. If you are lucky you might be able to find an upholster that can rework your seat and add foam to it. Mine is going to MeanCityCycles next month.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A correctly sized piece of reflective space blanket fastened with a bungee net should keep the seat a lot cooler if it has to sit out in the sun for a long period. These fold up very small and can probably even be stored in a pocket.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I think I'd look at wool but even that sound hot. .
I've got a genuine sheepskin from AlaskaLeather.com

Before I bought the Corbin, I used it a lot.

Actually cooler in the summer, because it allows air to flow, and mucho more comfortable.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have had a gel pad on my XR1200, while it was a lot cheaper than a new seat it looked like a chair pad from a dining table chair and raised the height significantly. I don't want to spend three hundred or more for a new or custom seat, as I don't tour on the bike I'll just stop every hundred miles or so, I don't get much more out of a tank of gas anyway.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Here's an article with reviews of five different options: seat pad reviews. We have used: a sheepskin pad ($60); wooden bead seat covers ($20/unit); an AirHawk (around $80, used); and a purple, knobby, air pad from JoAnn's Fabric Store ($30? sold for sewers to place on their chair, to make long sessions more tolerable). Our preferences were as follows:

1) JoAnn's Fabric Store's knobby-surfaced, air pad; can be inflated/deflated with a football type air needle and pump.

2) Wooden Bead Seat Cover: you have to move around every 20-minutes, or so, to change the pressure pattern on your skin; circled Lake Superior on these, seven day trip, with four days of rain -- plenty of air circulation, which really cools you, especially in 55 F, and wet!

3) Sheepskin: keeps you warm and cool, but it does nothing to alleviate, or even slow down, the pressure pain on the bottom of the pelvis bone; the previous pads will slow it down, but they will not prevent it, either.

4) AirHawk: allegedly the Cadillac; we tried, repeatedly, to get it to work for us, making sure we had minimal air in it, but it never worked for either one of us. Sorry.

Everyone is unique, and what works for us, may not work at all for you. Try the least expensive, and work your way up, as necessary. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know that this doesn't apply to all but just in case it might help someone...

Riding with a Honda CBF stock seat was somewhat painful for me on longer trips. I also considered gel pads but I had a gel seat made for me. It was better but still some pain on full day rides.

Then I realized that I could spread my weight more evenly when i sit. I could do it by first standing up, then pressing my knees to the tank and then sitting down. This way my thighs also give some support (at least the upper part). You don't actually need to stand up to get the same result, but it's easier to explain that way (my English isn't that good).

Now I can ride as long as I like without any issues in "that area".

Of course this doesn't work with all shapes of seats or slippery material etc. but works at least for me.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,771 Posts
My "Queen and Queen" saddle (Triumph's touring saddle) on my T100 Bonneville worked great for a long time. It was the very first thing I changed out on the bike. However, now that the bike has over 50,000 miles I found on the last long 5,000+ mile trip that it is no longer up to the task and it was painful on even less than 500 mile days. Might need to see if I can find the guy down here in Florida who restuffs stock saddles for long distance riding or add some kind of a pd. Airhawk seems to get high parks, but I don't know if I can bring myself to shell out the kind of $ they want for them.

Cheers,

Mike

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
3) Sheepskin: keeps you warm and cool, but it does nothing to alleviate, or even slow down, the pressure pain on the bottom of the pelvis bone; the previous pads will slow it down, but they will not prevent it, either.
I totally disagree with that statement.

For me... and I have a top quality unsheared sheepskin, it absolutely relieved the pressure pain under my hip bones. Stock Harley seats make me very sore very fast.

Adding my Long Hair (which means like 3 inch fur) from www.alaskaleather.com allowed me to ride all day on the stock seat.

When I say all day, I mean 600-700 miles.

It is still not as comfortable as my Corbin, but at least rideable.

I understand everyone is different, just sharing my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts