Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of the mad P.R. scramble for Veteran's Day recognition (something I feel should be more consistent year round), Geico commissioned Paul Jr. Designs to build a tribute bike in honor of our American military personnel. This commercial has ben aired around the Veteran's Day holiday and I am sure many members have seen this. I am curious to know what impressions, thoughts, comments, etc. forum members have about this bike, or the motivation behind it. I'll start off with my comments, which is to say that I think this is the gaudiest, most ridiculous-looking, over-blinged piece of poser-ware to ever hit the streets. I wouldn't ride that if they paid me, if it is even rideable! It looks as if a standard bike was used and then hung with a lot of cliche'd bling, and let's not overlook the huge Geico plug on the primary cover. This, to me, is the highest form of insincerity any self-serving tribute could offer. Shame on you Paulie.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
These are rolling sculptures, as with any artwork some are gonna like it some aren't. I kinda like it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,311 Posts
I think you covered it all BigBiker.

·
├•┤ Pew Pew
1,660 Posts
I agree - if they wanted to do a tribute then they didn't need a huge logo on there. It is all advertising and pretty disgusting way of doing it IMO.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you are going to honor veterans, honor them don't use them for an advertising gimmick. As a Vietnam vet I find it offensive due to the company logo predominately displayed. As for the Bike, I don't like the design at all, but with design what one person likes another hates.
As for Paul, if you want to honor veterans do so out of your own pocket not one of your customers. He is a talented designer and I do like some of the things he has come out with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm guessing it has some type of air suspension on the rear to lift it up for riding. The exhaust pipes are hideous.
I think it's hydrolic. At least the one that the dealership that I bought my motorcycle from wanted me to do that to my bike was. A $2,000 addition just to remove a $35 kick stand.

G

·
The days of these so-called sculptures are fading quickly. Why not build these insect transformer looking
things out of non-functioning parts? After all they aren't meant to be ridden.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
"If you are going to honor veterans, honor them don't use them for an advertising gimmick. "

:71baldboy:

I agree.

And putting some words on a bike doesn't "honor" anybody, or anything. If they wanted to honor a vet they could have sent the money used to build the bike to any one of several legitimate organizations that help out vets. They could have spent the time needed to build the bike helping out at Homes for Heroes, since they're handy with tools. How about customizing a wheelchair and donating it at your own cost to a crippled vet? There's lots of things they could do to honor vets, but building a bike is all about, "Look at me!"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Is there a problem with them doing both?
Many large corporations have done a lot to help veterans, and I’m glad they have. My point was that the bike seemed to me more of an advertisement for Geico than something that will honor the sacrifice our veterans have made.

I also commend Geico for the other contributions they have made to our vets. I must believe that the intentions of Paul and Geico were good, it just didn’t set well with me, others may really appreciate it.

I also come from a different era and different mindset about our military people. I personally believe in doing all we can to honor them.

·
8,665 Posts
I get your point Blaine and pretty much agree on the commercialization. If it was the only thing they did for vets I'd likely be a little more critical of them.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Is there a problem with them doing both?

http://www.geico.com/about/pressreleases/2013/20131007a/

http://www.geico.com/about/pressreleases/2013/20130919a/

Looks like they do a bit for vets.

BTW, look it up this is just what I found in a short look-up.
When I said, "they," I was throwing venom at the Teutuls and Paul Jr., not Geico. I could have written that more clearly.

I remember when I was much younger that you had to be a government employee to buy Geico insurance, so I'm not surprised that they have contributed to help veterans. Good on them.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Every time I see it I have to do a double-take. The way "HONOR" was painted it looks like Honda to me.

·
8,665 Posts
When I said, "they," I was throwing venom at the Teutuls and Paul Jr., not Geico. I could have written that more clearly.

I remember when I was much younger that you had to be a government employee to buy Geico insurance, so I'm not surprised that they have contributed to help veterans. Good on them.
Gotcha! I'm not a fan of the Teutels myself.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
IMO that bike Sux, I wouldn't ride it if they paid me, but to each his own. I am sure there are those out there who just love it. I will just keep riding my almost stock Vision. It is a bike I understand and love, although I am well aware of people who really do not like its styling.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion about the bike and that's as it should be, I have mine as well. I find the design of the bike distasteful, a thrown together hodge podge of pieces off the shelf and some manufactured. To me it focuses more on being a Geico billboard rather than a classy cool design intended to honor our fallen heros.

The bike boarders on the obnoxious while having a flavorless unappetizing quality to it. And what the hell is that exhaust? It is an odious build and I don't like it. JMHO.

·
8,665 Posts
That exhaust must be intended to keep you warm in the winter. :-/

The more I look at it, the more it looks like it says Honda on the tank.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts