Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally finished everything on my project bike of a 1984 kawasaki gpz 550. However, when I put back the gear shifter assembly back on, I noticed that the gear shifter would not return. What I mean by this is if I shift from first to second, I have to push the gear shifter down to reset and then pull up on it again to shift into third instead of just pushing up 2 times to get into third. Could this be a spring? I don't remember taking off a spring when I took off the counter sprocket cover off.

Do you guys know what this could be and would it be safe to ride it?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A return spring makes the gear shift pop back to the center position. Somethings not hooked up right.

I think it would be difficult to ride, since you would have to put your foot on opposite sides of the shift lever every shift.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A return spring makes the gear shift pop back to the center position. Somethings not hooked up right.

I think it would be difficult to ride, since you would have to put your foot on opposite sides of the shift lever every shift.
Is this an easy fix? I never messed with a clutch before.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model, so I'm not sure what's involved. The best bet would be to check the shop manual, or find an exploded view of the assembly online.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with this model, so I'm not sure what's involved. The best bet would be to check the shop manual, or find an exploded view of the assembly online.
The only diagrams I found was sorta like this which isn't that helpful in terms of finding out what needs to get done. The part number 92081B is probably the one that would be responsible for returning the gear lever

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Take the shifter off again and put some grease on the inside of the bushing it pivots on. It is probably just dry and doesn't move freely.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Take the shifter off again and put some grease on the inside of the bushing it pivots on. It is probably just dry and doesn't move freely.
+1 That would be my first guess as well. Dried grease just doesn't work well. Might even be a little rust in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts