Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I currently have a 1996 Yamaha Virago XV1100, today I'm going to see a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1500 for 2500$ CAD (1800$ USD), I love cruisers, yet I'm looking for a minimum of performances, while still being comfortable with my girlfriend,

What are the pros and cons?

Thank you!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I highly suggest you take your time with the girlfriend and not put her on until you have about 10k miles on your own or a years worth. The whole dynamics of a bike changes with a passenger so you want to be very proficient before putting a passenger in danger. JMHO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I highly suggest you take your time with the girlfriend and not put her on until you have about 10k miles on your own or a years worth. The whole dynamics of a bike changes with a passenger so you want to be very proficient before putting a passenger in danger. JMHO
I already have 2 years worth of experience, and rode quite a while with a passenger before

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I'd go with the Kawasaki. It's newer, bigger engine and, personally, I prefer Kawasaki to Yamaha. Now forget all that because reality has its part.

The bike in the best mechanical condition is a big consideration. If the condition of both is about the same, then I'd go back to what I already said. Good luck with whatever you get!

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
Hello!

I currently have a 1996 Yamaha Virago XV1100, today I'm going to see a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1500 for 2500$ CAD (1800$ USD), I love cruisers, yet I'm looking for a minimum of performances, while still being comfortable with my girlfriend,
What are the pros and cons?
Thank you!
The 1996 XV1100 is a old enough that a lot of shops will be hesitate to bring it in for service because some parts that may be needed will be discontinued. Even if you DIY parts could be a problem.
The 2001 Vulcan is pretty much in the same boat due to age. One thing I don't like about the Vulcan is the automatic hydraulic valve lash adjusters. When they give problems... Your wallet is gonna take a Big Hit.
As for pros and cons of the of the two (or which to choose). I might go with the Yamaha, or just flip a coin.

Is something newer like a 5~6 year old Yamaha V-Star 1300 in your budget? New enough to get parts for, a pretty solid machine and no stinking hydraulic lash adjusters.

S F

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd say it's a crummy time to buy a bike. I got a great deal on a bike last September if you can get the summer out of the Yamaha do that and keep an eye our for a newer bike over the season. Semifast is right unless you like to wrench your self a bunch of shops won't work on bikes from early 2000's. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm going to see a 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan classic 1500 for 2500$ CAD (1800$ USD), I love cruisers, yet I'm looking for a minimum of performances
The 1500/1600 Vulcans are solid machine, perhaps a bit more complex than the Virago, but generally able to run 100K miles with tires, filters, gas, pads and oil and a bit of periodic TLC. I had a `99 Nomad (1500) and although it had a quirk or two (oil-drive gear and weak clutch), I think they were all remedied in the next model year and as I recall the Classics never had issues to speak of... I rode mine well over 100K (deer got it one cold morning) andf traveld across much of the continent on it -- very solid bike... had a Harley Evo at the same time, and they were roughly comparable as far as durability/trustworthiness (although somewhat different personalities). I used to take my Nomad on 3500 mile, four-day weekend with little more prep than an oil-change... good bike, happy memories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts