Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want you to know that yes I am serious about my coast to coast ride.
Second I want to know if there is any secret about finding gas stations, because my GPS software says there is only one route that has enough gas stations.
As I am crossing Montana, heading East on 12...
I reach this stretch of highway that goes either northward, and then eastward...then empties the tank.
Or southward, then southeastward for a ways before leaving me high and dry.
(I did this assuming the small tank on the XS11 I did winter before last.. 3 gallons lasts about an hour)

So I got this XVZ with the 5 gal tank, and I say to myself...
That should get it...
And then I use the computer and find that my software is still cutting me off about 5 miles from the nearest fillup.

I did find a kind of a solution though... I got a new smartphone that uses google maps... they got lots of gas stations in there!!!

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Should be an interesting ride. What time of the year do you plan on starting out? I know gas stations are few and far between is some of the states you'll be riding through. Good luck on carrying enough fuel. Plenty of stations when you reach the right coast. Ride safe...

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
And if that's too much fuel to carry or you can't figure a way to carry that much then check these smaller bottles that you can carry fuel in. You can probably make it with the quart size one or you could carry 2 and have half gallon. That will get you thru west Texas even at night. They close up out there early.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Since they changed to CARB-certified spouts on gas cans, filling anything is a pain. Personally, I think they are more dangerous than the old open spouts since it's much easier to spill fuel all over using them. It's another symptom of regulations making things worse than where it started.

Taking the spout completely off and using a funnel is the method I have gone to if I have to use a new can.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
In areas where stations are sparse I stop and fill up about every hour, whether I need to or not. That gives me well over a 150 mile range. I've never had an issue finding gas even in somewhat remoter areas like Montana or West Texas. You just have to stay aware of where your fuel level is and where the next town on your route is, and I have detoured to gas up.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Since they changed to CARB-certified spouts on gas cans, filling anything is a pain. Personally, I think they are more dangerous than the old open spouts since it's much easier to spill fuel all over using them. It's another symptom of regulations making things worse than where it started.

Taking the spout completely off and using a funnel is the method I have gone to if I have to use a new can.
REDA does have a non-EPA spout option.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Have you tried using gasbuddy? Use a map to find towns then put those into gas buddy not so much to find a best price but more to find an available gas stop. I did that last fall and found plenty of places to stop between home and the west coast. With my gas tank size I sometimes had to stop a bit early so that I could make it to the next stop but I found no trouble finding places to refuel. Each time I found one I put it into my route planner so I would know if I needed to stop early.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts