Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a gas tank with rust on the inside. Ive read of things to buy that when flushed around a couple of times, creates a protective/plastic coating on in the inside. What is this, where can it be purchased?

G

·
I would recommend buying a three part kit to coat the inside (cleaner, rust dissolver, sealant). Google around. I just did two tanks of mine with a KBS three part coating kit and I highly recommend it. For around 30 bucks and a couple days work it’s almost as good as new, and you will be able to save the tank you have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the stuff for the electrolysis method but I would like to stop the inside from future rust if it all possible....??? Are there any liquid coatings to buy from the store?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes there are several different sealers. Probably the most popular two are POR-15 and KREEM.

I haven't used them though. Someone that has can chime in with the results.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bike shops usually sell tank coating kits. If you use the bike regularly and keep gas in the tank or coat the tank with oil when you store it then you shouldn't have a problem with more rust. If you can do the electrolysis method then I'd try that first. I'd avoid coating the tank if possible unless it has a bunch of pinholes that or something. If you ever go to sell it then whoever is buying it may not like the fact that it's been coated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After using electrolysis, I wouldnt have to coat the inside? Its a solid tank and not very much rust on the inside. I just want to stop the rust completely so it wont clog up the carb.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After using electrolysis, I wouldnt have to coat the inside? Its a solid tank and not very much rust on the inside. I just want to stop the rust completely so it wont clog up the carb.
If you keep your tank full all the time, then the gas will keep the moisture off the metal. If not, then I would say to coat it with one of those sealers. Also, to reduce contamination, add an in-line fuel filter below the petcock valve.

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
electrolysis

If you decide to use electrolysis make sure you remove the petcock befor you start the electrolysis will harm the petcock .

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had good luck with the POR-15 kits, I didn't even bother to cream the inside. Just did the first 2 parts of the kit and tank looks great now. Its been 5 years and sill looks good.

Kev

·
Registered
8 Posts
rusty tank fix

do not know if this helps you, but I had a bike awhile back that was stored with gas in it for more than a couple of years, so you can imagine the inside of the tank. I took it to a radiator shop and they dipped the entire tank removing all the loose rust and then they treated the inside with a permanent sealer. It worked great and had no issue at all. The draw back is this method removes all the paint. I had to repaint the tank.

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
I am trying electrosis in the form of zinc coating the insides by using a zinc probe instead of the hanger probe and some zinc soaked in vinegar and liquid pored in the tank , with a small amount of epson salt as well I is suposed to work I will let you know it it does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't use kreem. It will last a year maybe two, then it will start to pull off. I'm going through the trouble of removing it from a tank after it clogged my left fuel port.
I have done electrolysis. It works. A word of caution though. If you don't want to repaint the tank after, double wax the paint everywhere. I learned this after I ruined perfect paint on a 71 Bonneville.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a Cl200 that has kreem in the tank that is falling off. I'm thinking about using acid to clean it.I'm going to protect the outer paint. Then use BB's or small nuts to get the larger rust off.
I might use the electrolysis method afterward. It just gets the smaller particles, right?
Would it be better to coat it again with por 15 or just leave it uncoated and full? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts