Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem started a few months ago and I can't figure out why. Was wondering if anyone could identify what is happening to the paint on my gas tank and what I can do about it. I'm thinking its going to need a repaint if it continues going this bad, but would like to understand why it happened in the first place.

Attached some photos. But it started by looking like the paint was bubbling from underneath, eventually it cracks open and it looks a bit rusty / messy. I tried to address a few of the spots with protector, but it seems to be popping up all over.

Could something have gotten on the gastank to cause this, or is it an underlying issue?

Greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!
-ryan

Attachments

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sure looks like bad paint - metal is rusting out beneath. If it was repainted it could be poor prep.

What's the inside of the tank look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a shot of the inside of the tank. It looks alright to me, but one of my friends said it looks like someone may have been trying to repair the bottom right there already.

Is there a way to tell if its rusting from the inside out on the top, or whether its a bad paint job and so just rusting on the outside top of the tank? To my touch, the tank still feels pretty solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
That sure looks like a bad-prep second hand paint job...I know what that looks like because I've done it, and that happened. :( BUT the presence of the factory warning label there would make me think it's still original, unless they did a very articulate masking job. Looks like red kote tank liner on the inside, so someone's worked on it. I think your only worry here is going to be cosmetic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sure looks like a bad-prep second hand paint job...I know what that looks like because I've done it, and that happened. :( BUT the presence of the factory warning label there would make me think it's still original, unless they did a very articulate masking job. Looks like red kote tank liner on the inside, so someone's worked on it. I think your only worry here is going to be cosmetic.
This problem started a few months ago and I can't figure out why. Was wondering if anyone could identify what is happening to the paint on my gas tank and what I can do about it. I'm thinking its going to need a repaint if it continues going this bad, but would like to understand why it happened in the first place.

Attached some photos. But it started by looking like the paint was bubbling from underneath, eventually it cracks open and it looks a bit rusty / messy. I tried to address a few of the spots with protector, but it seems to be popping up all over.

Could something have gotten on the gastank to cause this, or is it an underlying issue?

Greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!
-ryan
Same thing happened to my bike factory paint brand new bike then 15 years later I painted it it happened again On the right side of the bike two peace tank paint came off again just had it painted again 33 years later it’s doing the same thing on the right side of the gas tank faulty Gas cap on right side vented

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have a BAD RUST / OXIDATION problem. Rip it off - remove ALL the paint as soon as possible, down to base metal - clean several times - see if you may have a "pin hole" or two through the metal. Inside = Rust remover, SEVERAL SESSIONS - - AIR dry with HOT DRY air - - get the inside plasti-coated [there is a product on the market, but I do not recall the name] - - respray from scratch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts