Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently trailered in my '76 Honda CB550Four to get the ignition switch replaced. On the way out of my driveway the bike fell over slightly (fell off its center-stand but was tied firmly enough to only tip over about 45 degrees). I noticed some gas leaked out of the top cap since the tank was nearly full. I've ridden it twice since the repair and both times I have parked it in my garage, located below my house, and overpowering gasoline smell permeates up into the house. Will this smell go away with a few more rides as the spilled gas evaporates (I cleaned what I could off the tank with warm soapy water)? Or is it possible the mechanic detached a vent hose or something? Any other ideas/cautions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If youve ridden it twice any gas you have spilled has surely already evaporated away.....if your still smelling gas its not from your spill.

I have a bike that if you dont turn off the petcock sometimes it will leak fuel on the ground. Parked in my garage on the cement floor the gas will evaporate very quickly if it leaks....within an hour.

Your getting that fuel smell from something else.

Can you see actual fuel pooling or dripping from somewhere. Loose or cracked hose etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yes, I found a small leak in my main tank hose. Unfortunately, I did not move the petcock to "stop" so it leaked all night (1 drip per 2 minutes) but, fortunately I suppose, I found the leak that I would have otherwise never found.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts