Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day, my Bandit was leaking gas. So when I got home, I took the carbs out and cleaned them. Got everything back together and still leaking. Only the second (of 4) carb is leaking. So I ordered a carb rebuild kit from bike bandit for carb #2.
Fast forward, my bike bandit order for a rebuild kit got delayed. Like 2 weeks delayed. Someone told me that sometimes it takes a carb a little while to settle back out and quit leaking, so I tried running the bike for a while to see if that helped. Carb still leaked but now the engine won't run without being choked and giving it throttle kills it!
So I decided to take everything apart, again, and clean it all again. I did just that. Carb 2 still leaks, the bike still won't start without choke, and giving it throttle still kills it.
I've been reading around this evening, but I'm not coming up with much. All ideas are much appreciated.
-Travis

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,729 Posts
Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere as well as the leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Since the carbs are vacuum operated, that makes sense. How do I go about fixing the issue? I think the rebuild kit will stop the gas leak, but how do I fix the air leak?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,729 Posts
You have to find the leak. With it running spray the boots and fittings with something slightly flammable. If the engine responds you have found the area.

I would tell you what but for the life of me I can't think of the name

·
American Legion Rider
26,691 Posts
You have to find the leak. With it running spray the boots and fittings with something slightly flammable. If the engine responds you have found the area.

I would tell you what but for the life of me I can't think of the name
Carburetor cleaner in the spray can works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts