Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Very Famous Person
9,829 Posts
--

Probably dripping from another point on the engine. There is no unburned gas passing through the interior of an exhaust manifold.

--

·
Very Famous Person
9,829 Posts
If I turn off the fuel flow switch it stops
--

It sounds to me (and I'm no master mechanic genius) like it's leaking from a hose or valve or fitting in your fuel supply line. Mine will squirt out of the carb overflow relief vent sometimes if my gas line is heated from a hot engine. I have it routed so it goes out to the side, but it could exit wherever the vent hose ended or around the carb if my hose was missing.

It's not likely that it's coming from inside the combustion chamber, so that leaves only an external leak. Let everything cool down, then turn on your fuel flow switch and feel around, and look, at all the area above where the gas is. If you have to start your engine, you will have a moment or two while you can still feel around before the engine gets too hot to touch.

--

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
What year, make & model? If this is a carbureted bike you may have a sticking float. After engine shutdown fuel from the bowl or overflow can flow into the intake manifold, and may flow into combustion chamber and gravity will take it out, somewhere.

if fluid can leak out exhaust should be able too also, at least until the engine heats up at which point it may self-seal. Do you hear an exhaust leak on startup? Can you feel one?

You want to fix this before it turns into a Viking funeral...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2002 Suzuki Freewind XF 650 It is carburated, and now will not start. I've had lots of problems with it not starting, and usually need to adjust the valve clearance, which never stays in adjustment. I can't really see where the leak is coming from, other tham it appears to be coming from inside the motor, and running out down the outside of the exhaust pipe. When I try to start it, I smell the gas pretty strong, like it's flooding. You think the float is stuck? I found a puddle of gas under it the other morning, and it was dripping out pretty fast. I actually thought someone had pulled the fuel hose off to steal gas, and didn't get it back on correctly after filling their container......I turned off the fuel supply switch, and it stopped dripping. Later, I went to start it (switch on, of course) and turns but won't even cough, and then I see the fuel running down the exhaust pipe.

Still sound like the float?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it were a hole in the tank, it wouldn't stop when the switch was off. Or possibly that's your sense of humor? Either way, thanks for your considered post.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I've read in some places that if you can't find a leak...get some talcum powder, make sure the area is dry, spread the powder around (lightly) then do what ever it is that makes it leak (turn on the gas flow?) then look for the wet powder....it should leave a trail that you can follow, even if it drips (start at the highest point you can see in the area you believe the leak to be)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts