Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil today and noted a gasoline smell in the old oil.
Is this possible, if yes what would be the cause, (head gasket?)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the response. 2005 Hyosung GV250 (POS!) 8,725 miles.
Also, it smokes when I first start it but goes away after a couple of
miles. I should mention I believe the carbs are gummed up so I
have to run it with half choke. It sat for a while before I bought it.

·
10,756 Posts
I had a Yamaha that the carb float was bad in. One day it stuck open and the entire gas tank drained down into the engine. I went to start it and the thening was frozen solid. It had become hydraulic locked. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Thanks for the response. 2005 Hyosung GV250 (POS!) 8,725 miles.
Also, it smokes when I first start it but goes away after a couple of
miles. I should mention I believe the carbs are gummed up so I
have to run it with half choke. It sat for a while before I bought it.
It sounds like you have some carb work in your future. In addition to being dirty and gummed up, the float valve is probably sticking open, allowing them to flood leak fuel into the cylinders and then down into the engine lower end. It's not terribly good for the bike, so you should probably look into it ASAP.

·
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is
501 Posts
Yeah, my ex started on a gt250. Took some creativity to solve some of the problems with it, but it wasn't a bad bike. My favorite was the license plate held on with one bolt, allowing it to rotate down into the chain.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Gasoline thins out the oil. So if you have 10W40 in it, it'll more act like 5W30, or less, depending on the quantity of gasoline in the oil.
It's also in danger of exploding, if the gasoline levels get too high.

But a little can do no harm. Just add some very thick diesel oil, like 15W50 or more, and pour a little in the engine, to thicken the overall mixture.

Back in the days, on a cold winter day below freezing, in order to get oil flowing through the engine, sometimes truck drivers would pour some kerosine in the oil, to thin it out.
Most of it will burn off as you ride.

The rest gets mixed with the oil, and acts like a thinning agent (much the opposite of the additives in synthetic oils).

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Gasoline thins out the oil. So if you have 10W40 in it, it'll more act like 5W30, or less, depending on the quantity of gasoline in the oil.

But a little can do no harm. Just add some very thick diesel oil, like 15W50 or more, and pour a little in the engine, to thicken the overall mixture.

Back in the days, on a cold winter day below freezing, in order to get oil flowing through the engine, sometimes truck drivers would pour some kerosine in the oil, to thin it out.

The rest gets mixed with the oil, and acts like a thinning agent (much the opposite of the additives in synthetic oils).
Gasoline acts as a solvent, not an additive.

Attachments

·
Banned
412 Posts
@Dodsfall, before you make ridiculous statements, and trying to be funny, it would do you good to read the post before you make any comments.

Didn't I say it works the opposite of the additives in oil?

So before you facepalm someone, just make sure you read the post well,

It makes you look less stupid... Really...

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Didn't I say it works the opposite of the additives in oil?
Yes, you did. That's exactly my point, it doesn't do the "opposite". That's like saying someone should just eat some healthy food as a cure for ingesting poison, because eating something good for you is the opposite.

Gasoline will break down oil and make it ineffective as a lubricant. Adding a thicker oil is not a remedy to that situation.

Face palm.

·
Banned
412 Posts
There's not too much info out there on gas-oil mixtures, but my comprehension of it is that gasoline does not break down oil.
Otherwise, it would be useless in 2 stroke engines, to add oil.
It merely thins it out.

face palm 3.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There's not too much info out there on gas-oil mixtures, but my comprehension of it is that gasoline does not break down oil.
Otherwise, it would be useless in 2 stroke engines, to add oil.
It merely thins it out.

face palm 3.
Gasoline does indeed break down oil and make it ineffective. There's not a lot of information out there on mixing the two because it's a really, really bad idea to do that.

Oil is added to the fuel in 2-stroke engines. Gasoline is not added to the oil. There is a difference.

If you would like to experiment, dump a quart of gasoline into your crankcase, run the engine for 100 miles or so, then let us know how that worked out for you.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I don't know, you tell me...
If gasoline breaks down oil, then two strokers are running dry...
Makes no sense.
Two stroke engines are designed differently than four stroke engines. They don't hold oil in their crankcases like a four-stroke does. We are talking apples and oranges here.

Any recommendations I would give about motorcycles I wouldn't hesitate to do on my personal machines. Again, if you are confident that mixing gasoline in your crankcase oil is perfectly ok as long as you also add some thicker oil, go ahead and add a quart of gas your own machine's crankcase before you recommend it to others. I'd like to see the video of how it runs after an hour or so.

Personally, I have seen the results of this happening and it wasn't pretty. You don't have to take my word for it, give it a try.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Prodigit, no offense, but Dods is 100% correct on this. I have 10 years experience as an equipment mechanic and have seen the results of this many many times - scored bearings, scuffed cylinder walls, etc.) If you're so convinced, get some 100w Aeroshell and dilute it with gas until you're happy and run that. After a couple thousand miles you'll start to hear the difference.

If you find gas in your oil, change the oil/filter and fix the problem.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,662 Posts
You can run a little bit of gas in your diesel in cold weather
you can run a little 2 stroke oil in your gas even in a 4 stroke, but very little and it has to be ashless.

BUT

you cannot run gasoline in the oil of a 4 stroke motor without causing damage.

·
Banned
412 Posts
I'm not saying I'm going to dump gasoline in my oil tank.

But there's no difference between 2 strokes and 4 strokes, in respect to how gasoline treats oil!
2 strokes lubricate their cylinder walls with oil. Oil that's mixed in gasoline. If gasoline breaks down oil, then 2 strokers will not receive the oil they need to lubricate their parts.

In respect to gasoline breaking down oil, or thinning it out, what dodsfall said was incorrect.

Gasoline THINS OUT oil. I've done yet another experiment, with an airfilter. The gasoline mixed oil drips out of the filter, and is still oily and still lubricates!
If gasoline breaks down oil, even the tiniest bit of gasoline will turn your crankcase into an aquarium, and your oil into water (meaning, you might as well run the bike dry, or plant fishes in the gear box)...

Still makes no sense.

I understand to get oil off some objects, people wash them with gasoline. And a lot of gasoline does indeed thin out oil so much it becomes useless. Even at a 50/50 ratio, oil still lubricates, but if the original oil was something like 15W50, it would be much thinner and lubricate similar to 0W5.

So if it does break down oils, it definitely does not break down everything.
A little gasoline in a gearbox won't cause permanent damage.
like 1 ounce in a 1 gallon oil tank does less damage, than running on the same oil for over 50k miles!
There will be less Oil composition break down than when mixing it with gasoline.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,662 Posts
You believe want you want. Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it is wrong.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts

Don't do this, replace the oil.
The maximum allowable amount of fuel that is acceptable in your 4 stroke engine is ZERO.

·
Banned
412 Posts
I thinned out my 10W40 on my scoot with a little gasoline,
so far it's still going strong,
already 300 miles on the 'new oil'.
I did it because of the colder winter days.

When summer comes up again, probably in April, I'll change back to 10W40, or 15W40.
Only a small squirt though, less than 5% of the oil in there.

Just saying...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts