Motorcycle Forum banner

Garage Capacity?

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  dcstrng 
#1 ·
I'm curious how many riders have more than one bike sitting in their garage, and how many limit themselves to a single ride. I'm talking concurrently. I have one bike right now and I find myself lusting after another model, but I'm a new rider and I think the other model would be a handful I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. But when the time comes, I'll have to make the decision about limiting myself to one bike that maybe doesn't do everything I want, and having more than one for different uses. So I'm curious.

John Meggers
Naples, FL

#4 ·
Got my license in June 2018 and have since purchased 13 motorcycles between then and April of this year. I did sell most of them to buy other bikes and as of right now I'm sitting on just 5, down from a high of 8. I technically have a 6th bike being stored by a friend, but I'm counting it as sold.

#6 ·
Ok, Miss Mercedes, I think you're probably an anomaly on the other end of the spectrum! But I am curious why so many. Are you thinking you'll pare down further, or do you really find enough different in all the options in your stable you plan on keeping the five? Or do you just like the excitement of the search and the deal?

#7 ·
Well my current five are all very different! To scratch my "twist & go" itch I have a 1972 Yamaha U7E (think Honda Super Cub). I have a 1972 Yamaha DT175 as a sort of two stroke "Grom-like bike". Going up the ladder I have a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing as my road trip bike, a 1982 Suzuki GS850G as my vintage all rounder, and a 1996 Honda CBR600F3 for when I'm feeling really feisty. :D

Part of the excitement is the search and the deal. Part of it is getting to ride something different. Part of it is having something fun to work on during downtime. I think my ideal motorcycle garage would also have a BMW, an Indian, and a Triumph for a total of eight bikes. Agh, but then I also really want to try a Victory and a Harley! :grin:

Reactions: blulew and ketchboy
#10 ·
I have four that will fire when needed. Three in regular use. Two more will fire some day soon. One other is a next year project.
My comfortable daily rider is a Triumph Trophy. Great for two up. My personal bike is a Suzuki sport bike. My old Yamaha 1100 has a side car attached, so it is the work bike, and also gets used in the winter months. The winter bike is an 83 XS400 Yamaha. Soon to run is a 65 Honda Trail 90, and a mint 80 Yamaha 1100, which will be a fair weather show bike.
Next year I will work on an 81 XS1100 Yamaha Midnight Special.

UK

#12 ·
I suspect almost everyone has desires for more than the one they currently ride but storage space and finances limit them. I can count an easy half dozen I'd like to have and ride. My current of course. Then a 1985-90 Harley FXRT, a 1990 BMW R 850 RT, a 1980-85 BMW R 100 RT, a 2018 Triumph rocket 3 touring, a 2004-09 Victory Kingpin, 2019-2020 Boss Hoss. And I could keep going. Money and space is all that keeps me from having these. Oh and finding some of them enters into it as well. I'd make room for a FXRT if I could find a good one and not some stripped down basket case.

#14 ·
I have just one bike. Wife also has a bike. I can ride her bike, but she is not ready (or doesn't think she is ready) to try mine. They sit in one of the two parking spaces in the garage. The other spot is for the car.

If we got another car, one of them would have to live outside. Not interested in going back to the days of storing motorcycles outside.

#15 ·
Four for me: three Harleys and one BMW. I started to buy another BMW last October, but the deal fell through. Everytime I go to an event, if there are demo rides offered, I take them. It makes you realize that a single motorcycle can't fulfill every need (street, dirt, touring, off-road, adventure, performance, etc) and I find myself thinking about buying this one or that one.

Careful, though. Parkinson's Law states that, “Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.” There's a corollary to that for riders: "The number of motorcycles owned increases to fill the available garage space." And I've got a 30'x40' shop...

#17 ·
I have 3 that I ride, a Kingpin and 2 Visions, and a currently engineless V92 that I may or may not reassemble or sell as parts.

My wife has 3, 2 that she rides, a Chieftain and a Scout, and a VStar 650(perfect condition but rarely ridden, it’s for sale)

I have room for a few more, but only because we moved in October to a house with a bigger garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
One bike, two snowmobiles, and a mid-sized SUV. We still manage to stuff in the kids bicycles and some other items in the summer. It doesn't matter how much room you have, it will get filled up and you'll be wishing you had more!

#20 ·
I’ve had two bikes when I was commuting on them for a period (about 150 miles a day for five years) and slogging them pretty hard, but usually no more than one for just leisure use, except for those times when I also had a project bike as well as my daily rider… My interests seem to be too eclectic to put everything in the bike basket unless I’m dependent on them for something – usually I have a couple/three other non-bike undertakings stealing my time and treasure as well… Am back to one bike now and I like it that way…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.