Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know if the new cbr 250 is worth getting to learn on.
Also how dose it compare to the ninja 250 other than top speed which i wont be using.

I do know that it has (( Shocked abs/fuel injection Shocked )) and the ninja dose not.

I also know that the Ninja250 is a twin and the cbr250 is a signal

I was looking at getting my first bike i want something good to be honest i was looking at a blue 650r but something in the back of my head keeps telling me to get it but then something is saying start smaller.
Im not into crusers so much but the Honda rebel(250cc) did look pretty cool to me once you add a windshield it could be a great bike

So if you had to help a newb buy a bike would you guild him for the Cbr250, Ninja250r, or 650r
One think i have herd is that the new CBR sounds like **** but a simple exhaust change can make it sound like average bike ((but to be honest im not looking for the loudest think on the block i would rather have something a bit more quite if your making lots of noise people will see you when you bust your ass)) Im just wondering if the cbr is worth it i do love the look of the bike more compared to Ninja 250. ((i can sit on all 3 bikes. but those are the top 3 im looking at right now.))

I just red the forum about starting on a small bike the MSF has use using 400cc blast so would the 250 bee good still i mean that would be like learning the basics on something bigger only to start off on the road with something smaller.

((people tell me 250's are girl learner bikes but i know that's fulla bull sh... ive seen so many of you guys and guys on YouTube on 250's and from what i can tell people love them. I would just hate to have my own family members talking **** about me on a 250 when non of them have owned bikes before. so of course there trying to get me on the 650r LOL But the 650r was so shinny and blue and i wanted it o_O i saw it before anyone said anything really Grin LOL))

oh god i cant make up my mind on a 250 or the 650r some one help me lol
So guys what do you think.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
First things first, take a deep breath and count to 10.

Better?

Neither of them are going to be too fast, neither of them are going to sound great, they're both going to be fun to ride, forgiving and all-around awesome starter bikes. So just see which one you can get a better deal on!

Personally if I had to do it all over again now that the CBR250 is out, I would still go with the Ninja 250r. One main reason being that you can pick up a used, 2008+ Ninja 250 for thousands less than you'll be able to get any CBR250 for. Also, while it would be nice to have FI, that's not reason enough to choose the Honda.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Ninja 250 would also be my choice for the following reasons:

1) The Ninja 250 has been in production since the 80s, tons of parts and support for it. The CBR is still relatively untested and no one knows if there are any design flaws/issues as of yet. I know it's a Honda but there are always models that are lemons under just about any label.

2) Supply and demand. Case and point, I went down to the dealer just for kicks and asked about the CBR250 and he told me that they were already backordered. I heard a quote given to a lady that special ordered one for over $4600 (and that was for the base model, not the one with ABS) out the door. On the other hand the guy I talked to could get me an '09 Model Ninja (Brand New, just left over inventory) for between $4200-$4300 out the door and I hadn't even started bartering with the guy. The point is that it would be much easier for you to wheel and deal on a last years' model and still have the benefits of a brand new bike versus a brand new model that is in high demand and sold out.

3) Although the aforementioned is true, I concur that you really need to get over your impulsiveness and buy a used bike. If you are dead set on the latest style of Ninja you can get as old as an '08 and still get the latest body style Ninja 250. They will run you between $2500-$3000 in decent shape. If you are like me and can enjoy the older body style then you are in really good shape. You can pick up an '07 or older 250 Ninja for between $1500-$2000 in decent shape. So there the savings over a brand new CBR (especially the ABS model) is HUGE!!!!!!

4) The 650 Ninja may be nice, but it sounds like you interest in the bike is purely about image, WHICH IS NOT what you should be worrying about when buying your first bike. People consistently underestimate the 250 Ninja because of the "250" label. It is NOT in the same class as other 250s (other than the new CBR250 or the old Honda VTR Interceptor 250). When you mention 250, people automatically think about the likes of the Rebel, the GZ250, the Nighthawk, etc. which are bikes that can easily be outgrown. For the last year I had a Nighthawk 250 as a bike and I went out and test rode an old 250 Ninja recently (a 1989) and I can tell you that up to about 4K RPMs (I believe on the newer Ninjas it kicks in at about 2K RPMs) the bikes aren't that much different, but once you go beyond that the Ninja 250 leaves my Nighthawk flat in the dust. Save the 650 for when you have honed your skills and won't worry about wrecking it while making a newbie mistake. Oh and one more thing, only someone who knows motorcycles can tell the difference between a newer 250 Ninja and a 650 Ninja by looking at it. So you could easily tell your family members that you are riding a 650 and they wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sat on a CBR250 today, I'm only 5'10 and I felt very very cramped on it. the ninjas are a lot roomier in my opinion. Also the CBR had a ridiculous insurance quote for me, $700 (the same as an 07 650r Ninja I ran) a year with a safety course, yikes.

I personally like the feel of the ninjas better, but I'm using my bike as a primary mode of transportation/commuter so that's a top priority for me. Granted I got a better deal on another bike, but if I was set on a sport bike I'd go for a Ninja.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
cle world just did a comparison of those 2 250's- I can't remember if it was this month or last. Maybe your library carries Cycle World? Also, they might have something on their website. Technically, I don't think you can go wrong with either one- it more a matter of taste. Go to a dealer and sit on both.

Having actualy ridden a Rebel, I would consider that a last resort for someone under 5' 6". The only advantage is it has a VERY low seat. Not-so-hot ergonomics, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sat on a CBR250 today, I'm only 5'10 and I felt very very cramped on it. the ninjas are a lot roomier in my opinion. Also the CBR had a ridiculous insurance quote for me, $700 (the same as an 07 650r Ninja I ran) a year with a safety course, yikes.

I personally like the feel of the ninjas better, but I'm using my bike as a primary mode of transportation/commuter so that's a top priority for me. Granted I got a better deal on another bike, but if I was set on a sport bike I'd go for a Ninja.
Well i have to sit on a ninja 250 again, so who knows maybe i may end up liking it more than i think. Ill do that tomorrow before my MSF course starts up so i have a good idea what i want to get next week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cle world just did a comparison of those 2 250's- I can't remember if it was this month or last. Maybe your library carries Cycle World? Also, they might have something on their website. Technically, I don't think you can go wrong with either one- it more a matter of taste. Go to a dealer and sit on both.

Having actualy ridden a Rebel, I would consider that a last resort for someone under 5' 6". The only advantage is it has a VERY low seat. Not-so-hot ergonomics, though.
I think the Rebel is cool :biggrin: but thats not what im looking for as my first bike that might end up being my second bike in time to come. im about 5' 6" maybe 5' 7" with boots so i figure it could work for me.

Im gonna still go back to the dealer and sit on the CBR 250 and the Ninja 250 one more time and pick from the 2 hopefully the 650r wont look at me and start flashing its head lights saying "Come on over you know you want to."

I do like the Style of the ninja i guess i have my likes and dislikes about both If only there was the Ninja 250 with the Cbr's Tach and digital gages along with fuel injection and bam im sold to the ninja 250 instantly lol.

And now that i think about it a 250 might be all i need i dont plan to go farther than a half a state's distance on the bike (after having plenty of riding time exp)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Ninja 250 would also be my choice for the following reasons:

4) The 650 Ninja may be nice, but it sounds like you interest in the bike is purely about image, WHICH IS NOT what you should be worrying about when buying your first bike. People consistently underestimate the 250 Ninja because of the "250" label. It is NOT in the same class as other 250s (other than the new CBR250 or the old Honda VTR Interceptor 250). When you mention 250, people automatically think about the likes of the Rebel, the GZ250, the Nighthawk, etc. which are bikes that can easily be outgrown. For the last year I had a Nighthawk 250 as a bike and I went out and test rode an old 250 Ninja recently (a 1989) and I can tell you that up to about 4K RPMs (I believe on the newer Ninjas it kicks in at about 2K RPMs) the bikes aren't that much different, but once you go beyond that the Ninja 250 leaves my Nighthawk flat in the dust. Save the 650 for when you have honed your skills and won't worry about wrecking it while making a newbie mistake. Oh and one more thing, only someone who knows motorcycles can tell the difference between a newer 250 Ninja and a 650 Ninja by looking at it. So you could easily tell your family members that you are riding a 650 and they wouldn't know the difference.
Well i have thought about it and this is what im gonna do im gonna go to the dealer and not look at the 650 or at least try not to D: lol

Step 2 :D
Sit on both the CBr and Ninja 250

Step 3 :D
Coffee break

jk

Step 4 :D
Think on it while the weekend passes while taking the MSF classes i have this weekend.

Step5 :D

Prob get a 250 ninja (IF!! im comfortable on it)

Its not that i don't want a 250 cause its a 250 its just that i don't want the wind to blow and push me into another car or lane etc. or should i not worry about that?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First things first, take a deep breath and count to 10.

Better?

Neither of them are going to be too fast, neither of them are going to sound great, they're both going to be fun to ride, forgiving and all-around awesome starter bikes. So just see which one you can get a better deal on!

Personally if I had to do it all over again now that the CBR250 is out, I would still go with the Ninja 250r. One main reason being that you can pick up a used, 2008+ Ninja 250 for thousands less than you'll be able to get any CBR250 for. Also, while it would be nice to have FI, that's not reason enough to choose the Honda.
After thinking on the idea i think your right 250 is the way to go as a new rider.

And like i told others it might be all i end up needing so i may not even want to move up cause once i get used to something I REALLY REALLY HATE GOING TO SOMETHING NEW! as it i have a car right now if my mom some how said oh your gonna drive a truck from now on cause the car is old ((which its not 2003 XD)) i would hate it for the fact that i have to get used to driving a truck... ((i dont drive other peoples cars lol ))

·
Take it to the track
137 Posts
Nice thing about the 250's, if you decide you want to move on you can either sell it for a decent amount compared to how much you bought it. Or, you can go to the track and have more fun then you ever have in your life. You might be amazed how many people have 1000's for the street, but race a 250 Ninja on the weekend.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yup recently read a review on a 2000 Ninja from a guy who regularly rode a Ninja ZX11 and he had bought the 250 for his wife to learn to ride and they both made a commitment never to get rid of the 250. He states that for regular around town riding he steals his wife's bike on a regular basis because he enjoys it more (to say nothing of the fact that it is easier on gas, maintenance, etc).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
a-HA; I went and sat on a CBR250 today.
I was shocked to fiond out how similar it is to the older GB500.
I am about 5' 10", 165lb. It felt REALLY good. Perfect ergonomics for racng / twisties. However (maybe it's my age), I know it will be torture for me after 20 miles. It is a 3/4 sized bike with low bars and rear-sets. I loved my GB500, but had to sell it after I couldn't take it anymore.

Looks like I continue my fantasies about a Suzuli TU250X. That little pug would be so easy to cafe a little.
Wow- I just realized I was thinking of doing to the Suzuki what the CBR already IS. Wow. I'm gald we had this talk...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts