Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a g310r for a first motorcycle. i’m about 5’4.5”. I read on another forum that for my height, it may need to be lowered or the suspension softened and i might need different handlebars in order to be in a more upright position. I know sports bikes are not meant to have a completely upright riding position but I know that on this motorcycle that is the intent.

It weighs 349lbs. I don’t know if that matters nit has abs standard. I watched some videos and it doesn’t seem like it’s as fast as a ninja or z400, which is better for me. There are no dealerships near me, though, so I can’t try it out beforehand.

Does anybody have experience with this model?

·
Registered
501 Posts
We have a G310R. It is my wife's first motorcycle. It's been great. She is 5'5" and can put the balls of her feet down, but she cannot flat foot both at once. That took some getting used to, but she got the hang of it pretty fast. It has been a wonderful first bike for her. Of significance is the fact that it looks absolutely super. You'd think looks don't matter too much, but the way this bike looks just makes you want to ride it.

We put soft luggage on the back and a windshield on the front. Those are helpful items to have. The windshield (around $500 for the part and the installation) might even be essential. It made a big difference to her comfort on the road.

The bike is superior, in my opinion, to a Rebel 250. It has ABS and fuel injection, as well as LED rear lights. I felt like the Rebel 250 was a little too small for big roads. I know someone has probably done "the long way 'round" on a Rebel 250, but the extra horsepower and bigger road presence of the BMW are reassuring.

Speaking of extra power, the BMW makes 34 horsepower. It's enough that a skilled rider can make it accelerate pretty quick. However, it is also low-powered enough that an error with the clutch, for example, will not cause the bike to jump forward. It just shuts off in a gentle stall. This is much better for a new rider than being catapulted across an intersection due to a hand slip.

The first time she rode it she tried to walk it over a big dip where the gutter crosses the driveway. She got to where one wheel was in the driveway, one was in the road, and her feet were over the gutter in mid air. It was a Bugs Bunny moment. She fell over. Didn't do anything to the bike, and there were no tears. For a while she wanted me to put the bike in the street for her, until she got the hang of the controls. After a few rides she gained confidence and was able easily to navigate the driveway. Now she laughs at how easy the driveway really was.

The light weight and incredible agility should make it easy to get up and down your driveway. Just be careful stopping at the bottom. Make sure you take it slow, try not to lurch to a stop, and straighten the bars before the stop.

The bike has limits. Above 65 miles per hour it stops being fun. You *can* do it, but it kind of sucks. The riding position is comfortable for maybe 45 minutes, depending on how well it fits you. Riding the bike for a solid hour gets uncomfortable for me, but my wife can ride for hours with just short breaks. After putting some miles on the bike, she was able to ride 265 miles on the Natchez Trace Parkway (50mph speed limit - perfect for the G310R) in one day. She was tired at the end, but had a great time.

So, as an around town bike, a country road bike, a commuter, or a first bike, it is a great choice. For longer trips or highway use, you need a bigger bike.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,130 Posts
I like the GS model. Any opinions about this great looking bike BWB75??

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've not ridden a G310GS. Wife just loved the look and feel of the R model. The GS would have been a little too tall, I think, as the R was already at the limit of her comfort zone.

We have met some GS owners who said the GS was geared a little better for highways.

To my eye, the GS is also extremely good looking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you love the look of the bike and the Way it performs, go for it. Its a newer bike which should mean that there is a less of a chance that it Will break down. Also, in the sports class, and the Price, you really can’t beat it in my opinion! 300cc is perfekt for a first bike too!!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I don't have any experience with the G310R but I was wondering if you've checked out a Yamaha R3. Very light bike, 321 cc, handles really well, and gets great reviews. Plus there are a lot more Yamaha dealers out there compared to BMW dealers. Just thought I would throw that out there. I've read a lot of good reviews on the BMW but it's nice to have other options in case the first one doesn't work out. Good luck in your quest to find the perfect motorcycle! :wink2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sat on an R3. I’d probably need to have it lowered or have the suspension softened. I also sat on the z400, which felt pretty good. I saw a video, though, where a few different small displacement sport bikes were racing and the bmw was always dead last. As someone completely new to motorcycles, I see that as a plus. I don’t want to accidentally over throttle and have the bike really take off, like it might on a Ninja.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Oooooh I love that BMW! :D I'd say do it!! The G310R was made in a collab between BMW and TVS from India. BMW got this bike, TVS got the Apache RR 310 which remains one of my favourite low displacement sportbikes in terms of looks.

It's a small little thumper that makes the kind of power my old Buell Blast did. So you'll get a lot of good torque on the low end but like BWB said, it'll run out of steam on the highway. It should be an easy ride. :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,130 Posts
I may downsize so I traveled south into Arkansas last Sat morning to look at the BMW 310GS and I was very impressed:grin:

Although having a small engine, the bike itself was as large as the 750, 800 and 850GS models but also very light in weight.:smile_big:

At only $5,540 out the door, it is a real bargain!

Sam:nerd:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts