Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey riders! I’m new to this site been riding long distance for 20 years, but my 85 year old mother just asked me , after years of preaching to me of how she hates my motorcycle riding, asked me to see if I could rent a motorcycle with a sidecar and take her on a road trip! I couldn’t believe my ears, can anyone point me in the right direction, I looked up a few places and so far haven’t found a place that rents bikes with a sidecar

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Like many, you have not included your location, other than a US flag. If you were in Blaine WA, I would take your mother for a ride in my side car.
Side cars do not handle very well. On the heavy bikes, they are heavy to steer. On the older lighter bikes they are not so bad, but are slow.

UK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys new to this, I’m just south of Philadelphia off I-95. And thanks for the tip I’ve heard they can be tuff to handle. I ride a 2010 Yamaha Fjr now so I’m guessing I can’t put one on. I have till the summer so I’ll keep looking even if I have to buy a Ural I’m gonna make this happen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe she would be open to a Polaris Slingshot or a Can Am Spyder. Personally I've never ridden one, but they seem like a good alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, maybe the slingshot she’d feel safer sitting inside it like a sidecar she doesn’t want to be on the back seat of a bike

·
American Legion Rider
18,096 Posts
You might try a Goldwing trike. One with those big wrap-around arm rests. People say they feel very safe sitting in those because they have more to lean against.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that will probably be my last resort she has the sidecar thing in her head. I’m more excited about this then she is I’ll buy one if I have to, Lol

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
bpe put the pointer over my name at left. Wait a few moments and stuff will appear, like my location. I found it by accident. The same thing happens with your info at left. The location is not visible the way it was before. It needs prompting. I now check, as I did with the OP.

UK

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,056 Posts
Thanks, maybe the slingshot she’d feel safer sitting inside it like a sidecar she doesn’t want to be on the back seat of a bike
If she isn't incredibly mobile I wouldn't recommend the Slingshot. It's not the most ergonomic vehicle out there to get in and out of. And the "interior" is laughable and probably not great for distance travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bpe put the pointer over my name at left. Wait a few moments and stuff will appear, like my location. I found it by accident. The same thing happens with your info at left. The location is not visible the way it was before. It needs prompting. I now check, as I did with the OP.

UK
Hey thanks I think I got it figured out 👍

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If she isn't incredibly mobile I wouldn't recommend the Slingshot. It's not the most ergonomic vehicle out there to get in and out of. And the "interior" is laughable and probably not great for distance travel.
Someone told me that today and since she’s 85 I’m gonna see if she can sit on my Fjr, thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts

UK
OK, fair enough. I will just take the location out of my signature.
Seems like a lot of work with all this hovering 🥴

·
American Legion Rider
18,096 Posts

UK
That's one thing(among many) with this new format I do not like.
I'd much prefer the location displayed rather than the worthless
post count. I mean, who cares how many post you have. Location
is far more useful.

·
Visionary
2,845 Posts
Hey i wonder if Soupy ever sold his Sidecar rig?
The thing was brand new...
I think he lived in Connecticut, not to far from Philly to ride it back.
Has Soupy even been here recently?

Sorry guys new to this, I’m just south of Philadelphia off I-95. And thanks for the tip I’ve heard they can be tuff to handle. I ride a 2010 Yamaha Fjr now so I’m guessing I can’t put one on. I have till the summer so I’ll keep looking even if I have to buy a Ural I’m gonna make this happen

·
Charlie Tango Xray
758 Posts
Sorry to put a stick in the spokes, but the empath in me needs to ask. Does your 85 year old mother really have "a sidecar road trip" on her bucket list, or is she really just looking for a way to connect and spend time with you? Something that she knows YOU will enjoy. Try suggesting taking the trip in a comfortable rented convertible, that way when she decides she hates wind in her face, you can close the top and turn on the AC.

·
6,408 Posts
Welcome to a great forum Longhaul:)

It takes TIME to safely learn how to DRIVE a sidecar rig so if you make that decision, give yourself some time before you put both of your lives at risk:)

I had a brand new Yamaha XS1100 in 1981 and had the best sidecar available, the URAL professionally installed, got 5 minutes of instructions and then DROVE it home for 100 harrowing miles! I did quickly find a big parking lot to practice in before the Interstate drive home, which was surprisingly fun and uneventful:)

My wife loved riding in the thing and we traveled all over southern California's beautiful mountains and coastal areas for many years. The back trunk held a lot of stuff too.

Google a search for 'sidecar retailers' and find more info. I'm sure they will have one for your FJR which would be the perfect bike for a Hack.

In my experienced, biased but very HUMBLE opinion, stay away from URAL sidecar rigs as they are not reliable.

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to a great forum Longhaul:)

It takes TIME to safely learn how to DRIVE a sidecar rig so if you make that decision, give yourself some time before you put both of your lives at risk:)

I had a brand new Yamaha XS1100 in 1981 and had the best sidecar available, the URAL professionally installed, got 5 minutes of instructions and then DROVE it home for 100 harrowing miles! I did quickly find a big parking lot to practice in before the Interstate drive home, which was surprisingly fun and uneventful:)

My wife loved riding in the thing and we traveled all over southern California's beautiful mountains and coastal areas for many years. The back trunk held a lot of stuff too.

Google a search for 'sidecar retailers' and find more info. I'm sure they will have one for your FJR which would be the perfect bike for a Hack.

In my experienced, biased but very HUMBLE opinion, stay away from URAL sidecar rigs as they are not reliable.

Sam
Thanks Sam appreciate the input

1 - 20 of 22 Posts