Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having engine problems with a 97 fzr 600. Basically, I bought it, and I believe it was running lean. It would start up, and idle around 3k, with the choke, but as soon as I turned off the choke, it would shut off. So I took the carbs out cleaned them and everything, and I reset the screws for the air/fuel ratio to 3 turns. Now, the bike has a hard time starting up, and when it does start up, the overflow hoses connected to the carbs drip fuel, and it eventually cuts out. What do you all think the problem is? Is the A/F ratio off? The fuel is pretty old too

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Use new fuel. If it's overflowing, the floats are either misadjusted, sticking, or the valve seat is contaminated with something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll have to check the manual for the proper float height.
Alright. So I ended up getting new fuel (93 octane from shell). I put it in, and the engine still didn't start up. So I took opened up the engine, to find out fuel is flowing out of the left side hose when I turn the engine to "run". What does that mean?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I might know the issue. When I put everything back together, the 2 float chambers I had problems putting back in, I kinda forced them, so they aren't as free flowing. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Not something you should force, they should be free moving

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

So now, the bike turns on, with a little throttle with the choke on, but it looks like is burning oil, since a light blue smoke is coming from the exhaust. It also turns off when the choke is turned off. As I turn the choke down, the bike slowly dies down until it shuts off. Any thoughts? I'm really tempted to just take it to a shop

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
Have you done a compression test?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts