Motorcycle Forum banner

FZ6 Vibration

3363 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  absolutejdx
I have a 2004 Yamaha FZ6 with 21,000 miles. At around 15,000 miles I started to notice a vibration in the handlebars at certain speeds. My front tire was worn so I figured that was the issue. At around 17,000 miles I replaced both tires but the vibration remained. I have had it to the shop several times, they rebalanced the front tire and replaced the front fork seals but the vibration remains.

When I am riding up to about 45 MPH and over 55 MPH I can take my hands from the handlebars and everything remains stable. But if I am riding between 45 and 55 MPH and I take my hands from the handlebars they start to shake and there is about a 3-4 MPH area around 50 MPH where the shaking is very violent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Have you serviced the triple-trees? Sounds like you may have bearing issues, or your rim is slightly dented. You remember hitting any squirrels at speed?
Past Services

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The bearings were checked when the tire was rebalanced. I have not hit anything out side of a few potholes. It is my understanding that if the rim had issues it would cause problems over a wider range of riding speeds.

I do not believe the triple-trees have been checked, will look into that.

Thanks
I agree with Guy...

Check the steering head bearings and spanner nut, or just leave your hands on the bars?:rolleyes:
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.