Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a 21yr old Conneticut lad by the name of Kevin. I'm working on getting my own buisness off the ground whilst simultaneously trying to fund my ambitions through modeling.

I'm best known for my stubbornness, a few years back I was very I'll to the point I was unable to walk or talk. After being told by a major hospital that I should give up I did the exact opposite and took matters into my own hands. Using 'unapproved' medical devices and dieting I fixed myself right up. I am in very good shape now, a few weeks back I completed a 5hr walk around a local lake.

I was born with poor eyesight and it would be too long for me to explain it all, the short version is that I grew up with zero distance perception. Uncorrected I see the world '2D' as if being viewed on a TV. Only recently have I learned what was going on and why I had never felt safe driving & through my own means I have been able to solve this issue as well(Not being applicable for LASIK was a stumbling block but I found a solution.) With my new found depth came an interest in having a stronger connection to the road whilst driving, being in a car feels too far removed which just reminds me of how my vision is uncorrected.

To the point the next thing on my list to fix up is the motercycle that has been sat in our basement since I was a young child. It's a Yamaha Vmax, I agree with my family that it would be suicidal to jump on it as a new rider so it is a longterm goal. My short term goal is actually to learn how to ride a bike, I had proven unable to learn as a child due to my depth perception. That is my goal for the month of May, baby steps.

At this point I do not have the support of my parents but the same can be said for when I learned to build computers, when I tackled my health, when I started my buisness & dropped out of college, and when I stated I wanted to try my hand at modeling. At the moment my father is working on the bike he bought a decade and a half ago for himself with plans we would go biking together, it has hung above his motercycle unused this entire time. I see it as symbolic of the journey at large.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Kevin. The best place to start preparing to ride is to take the BRC and see if you really even like riding. They will teach you the basics in a controlled atmosphere. Sounds like you have a lot of determination. Good Luck to you!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Welcome from Hawaii Kevin!! I echo what Moni said. If you really want to break into the world of motorcycles, DO IT RIGHT!!! Proper training is essential, especially if you have ANY type of handicap.

I, for one, have only the use of one eye. My depth perception is all wrong as well, yet I ride safely every day. Good common sense and lots of experience go a long way to making a good rider.

This forum is a goldmine of info, the peeps here are all good folks.

Don't be a stranger Kevin... and welcome to the forum!!!

Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts