Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2019 Harley Davidson Low Rider last week.

I've been looking at the Softail Low Rider & the Indian Scout for many months. I wanted something more powerful than my Honda Shadow Phantom and I wanted six gears. I still wanted the 150-mile range I was getting out of the Honda but I didn't want something that was much heavier.

The Scout is easily my favorite-looking cruiser but it has a smaller tank than my Honda. If Indian made some sort of Scout that was a little bigger and had a bigger tank then I would've been all over it. But they have a huge jump in price and weight between The Scout and the touring bikes (and I don't like the looks of touring cruisers) so I took a good look at what Harley Davison had to offer and the Low Rider looked like it could meet my requirements.

I wanted midnight blue or barracuda silver but alas, vivid black was all that was left. When I looked at the bike online, I never liked the vivid black, all that chrome, or the handlebars, but it all looks much better in person. I was briefly tempted by the 2020 Low Rider S. I loved the looks but it's too much money and I wouldn't make use of the higher performance compared to the standard Low Rider.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Good looking bike. I certainly hope it does as you expect. I guess 150 range doesn't work for you then. I think it was Porky that posted that he got 50mpg doing 55 to 70mph on his new Scout. I can only go 180 on my Roadmaster before I'm looking for fuel and a little walk to get the bones working again. Best I've got consistently is 47mpg but I average about 45. The older I get the sooner I need that little walk too. But I do think you'll like the HD more than the Scout in the long run. I don't know how Porky can rides his Scout for very long anyway. I can't even sit on one in the showroom without hurting. That just don't fit me at all. And Porky is at least one size larger than I am. At least.:smile: He must bend easier in places I don't is all I can say. And he does. I have screws and plates everywhere. So I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that he has no trouble with it. Anyway...

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good looking bike. I certainly hope it does as you expect. I guess 150 range doesn't work for you then. I think it was Porky that posted that he got 50mpg doing 55 to 70mph on his new Scout. I can only go 180 on my Roadmaster before I'm looking for fuel and a little walk to get the bones working again. Best I've got consistently is 47mpg but I average about 45. The older I get the sooner I need that little walk too. But I do think you'll like the HD more than the Scout in the long run. I don't know how Porky can rides his Scout for very long anyway. I can't even sit on one in the showroom without hurting. That just don't fit me at all. And Porky is at least one size larger than I am. At least.:smile: He must bend easier in places I don't is all I can say. And he does. I have screws and plates everywhere. So I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that he has no trouble with it. Anyway...

I've never taken a long trip and I'm a "younger" dude but I'd like to take long trips eventually. I'm not in good shape (constant neck & lower back pain) so I could see myself stopping every 100 miles or so. But massive traffic jams happen and I like the reassurance that I have more gas left. Plus I'm **** with directions even with GPS so I could see myself getting lost easily.

I've looked into The Scout a lot and I've seen high mileage and low mileage from under 100 miles to 150.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Yeah, if you flog the Scout, and it will respond to it quite nicely, mileage drops rather sharply. But I totally understand the concern though. I've run out and it isn't fun. Puts a damper on an otherwise great day of riding.

·
Nightfly
4,601 Posts
As a Harley guy I think you made the right choice. Your bike seems to sit pretty low and I'm not a fan of my knees coming up to my chin when stopped at a red light. (exaggeration) Probably I'm just more used to the Sportster height, but it's a cool bike. I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,523 Posts
Nice looking ride.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it! :)

I don't know what it is, I have never been a Harley Guy. Never for or against them, they were just another brand, like BMW which I've never owned. But as I have got older, I have come to like Harley, and Indian, a whole lot better, (although Indian wasn't always around in the last 50 years).

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought a 2019 Harley Davidson Low Rider last week.

I've been looking at the Softail Low Rider & the Indian Scout for many months. I wanted something more powerful than my Honda Shadow Phantom and I wanted six gears. I still wanted the 150-mile range I was getting out of the Honda but I didn't want something that was much heavier.

The Scout is easily my favorite-looking cruiser but it has a smaller tank than my Honda. If Indian made some sort of Scout that was a little bigger and had a bigger tank then I would've been all over it. But they have a huge jump in price and weight between The Scout and the touring bikes (and I don't like the looks of touring cruisers) so I took a good look at what Harley Davison had to offer and the Low Rider looked like it could meet my requirements.

I wanted midnight blue or barracuda silver but alas, vivid black was all that was left. When I looked at the bike online, I never liked the vivid black, all that chrome, or the handlebars, but it all looks much better in person. I was briefly tempted by the 2020 Low Rider S. I loved the looks but it's too much money and I wouldn't make use of the higher performance compared to the standard Low Rider.
Great looking bike and a nice stance, I like the color combination. The Dyna's & the Softails are their sportier better performing rides, while still maintaining the traditional Harley looks. Now with the Dyna's being discontinued in 2018, they've merged a couple of the Dyna names into the softail line. There's a few Harley owners here, I recently became one myself. I too liked the Scout, but couldn't stomach a 3 gallon fuel tank. I like to stop, but not that often, what the hell were they thinking?

Very nice looking bike. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it! :)

I don't know what it is, I have never been a Harley Guy. Never for or against them, they were just another brand, like BMW which I've never owned. But as I have got older, I have come to like Harley, and Indian, a whole lot better, (although Indian wasn't always around in the last 50 years).
Same with me, never really gave Harley a whole lot of consideration. Once I got into my 50's, they started looking better to me. After test riding a couple last year, I started keeping an eye out. I finally pulled the trigger on a pre-owned low mileage Dyna about a month ago. I pretty much have been neglecting my other two bikes ever since, I've really been enjoying the Dyna experience and the 5.1 gallon fuel tank.

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking bike and a nice stance, I like the color combination. The Dyna's & the Softails are their sportier better performing rides, while still maintaining the traditional Harley looks. Now with the Dyna's being discontinued in 2018, they've merged a couple of the Dyna names into the softail line. There's a few Harley owners here, I recently became one myself. I too liked the Scout, but couldn't stomach a 3 gallon fuel tank. I like to stop, but not that often, what the hell were they thinking?

Same with me, never really gave Harley a whole lot of consideration. Once I got into my 50's, they started looking better to me. After test riding a couple last year, I started keeping an eye out. I finally pulled the trigger on a pre-owned low mileage Dyna about a month ago. I pretty much have been neglecting my other two bikes ever since, I've really been enjoying the Dyna experience and the 5.1 gallon fuel tank.

Very nice. Is that a Wide Glide?

I always liked Harleys and cruisers in general. I never dreamed of owning a Harley in particular though. If the Japanese motorcycle-makers were currently making something comparable to a Low Rider then I would've gotten one.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Very nice. Is that a Wide Glide?

I always liked Harleys and cruisers in general. I never dreamed of owning a Harley in particular though. If the Japanese motorcycle-makers were currently making something comparable to a Low Rider then I would've gotten one.

Its a Super Glide Custom.

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Nice looking bike, good luck with it! I like the way the graphic on the tank is done, it sort of reminds me of the old Harley graphics from the bikes that were around when i was a kid..Evel Knievel days etc.

The Scout is a great bike but wouldn't have liked the range, I THINK my wife's Scout might make 150 miles if ridden gently and you ran it down to fumes but a more realistic range is 120, by then the low fuel light is already on and it's time to fill er up. Her Chieftain will do about 180, but as you said it's a huge jump in size and weight from the Scout.

Personally I like to make fun of both of them when I ride my Visions with the big fuel tanks, the 16 gets better mileage than the 08 and I've gone 250 miles on the interstate with it a couple of times and never ran out, the light comes on around 225 usually. I did put 6.3 gallons into the 6 gallon tanks though so I guess I was pushing my luck just a bit.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts