Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They had a hot time at the full Throttle Saloon last night, it burned to the ground.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Well......this is on the Internet....sooooo????

Gary Matthews | Updated 1 hour ago

STURGIS, S.D. - Numerous fire agencies were called in to battle a massive fire at the Full Throttle Saloon east of Sturgis overnight Monday.

The call came in just after midnight, and crews first on the seen could see smoke coming from the roof of the main structure. Soon, the entire facility was engulfed in flames, which spread to nearby structures.

Heavy smoke rose into the early morning air as fire crews raced back and forth bringing water and supplies. The lack of water on the bar grounds prompted fire officials to call in tenders, which then had to go back and reload.

A call came out from those in charge to keep people out of the burning structure. Rather, fire crews worked to "surround and drown," or fight the fire from outside by surrounding it.

Fire crews had to temporarily close Highway 34 in front of the structure because of the dangerous conditions.

Fire crews from Piedmont, Vale, Whitewood, Sturgis and Fort Meade were among the agencies called in to fight the blaze. They remain on scene this morning as the rubble continues to smolder.

The Full Throttle Saloon is owned by Michael Ballard, and his rally-week life running the establishment is the plot for a television show which filmed once again this year.

*** THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS STORY AND WILL BE UPDATED AS NEW INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILALBE.***

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
After watching a particular episode I wasn't sure if the owner(s) WANTED to stay in business or not. Looked like nothing but headaches.

I guess they pop their aspirins on the way to the bank on the years it doesn't rain endlessly.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Saw.the videos on the web.. That fire was massive!

·
8,606 Posts
I've sat in that bar many times. It was a neat, shady respite from the Rally crowds. It had antique bikes all along the outer, upper wall, with some on shelves and some suspended by cables. Sorry this happened. I would be willing to bet that it was arson.

Sam:icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Did they happen to sell tater skins? Leaving the fryer on could ignite big time but be total accident. Why would arson be suspect? Shady owners or some such?

·
8,606 Posts
"Why would arson be suspect? Shady owners or some such?" Hog quote.

Arson is the number one reason for fires, other than Mother Nature and home/ business spontaneous events.

My Older Son is a Fire Captain in Southern California and liaises with arson investigators quite often. He told me that even forest fires are rarely started by anything but nature and arsonist.

I'm sure it will come out soon.

I can imagine that during the Rally, lots of rambunctious folks were "Bounced" out of there and someone may have had a grudge against and employee or the owner.

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I know Ballard had mentioned trying to sell out during one season of the show.

I thought this bar was only open during the rally?

With the 75th anniversary rally a month ago, he shouldn't be hurting for money. We stopped in there and that place was packed every night.

My theory is that Woody burned it down so he can expand the Buffalo Chip towards town. Double the size, double the money you can screw people out of!:biggrin:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to rebuild, most of the building was made up of 6 X 6 beams holding up a roof made out of metal siding, and a bunch of junk vehicles used as decoration!

But it was a fun place to hang out and watch the "Freak Show"!

View attachment 22354

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
"Why would arson be suspect? Shady owners or some such?" Hog quote.

Arson is the number one reason for fires, other than Mother Nature and home/ business spontaneous events.

My Older Son is a Fire Captain in Southern California and liaises with arson investigators quite often. He told me that even forest fires are rarely started by anything but nature and arsonist.

I'm sure it will come out soon.

I can imagine that during the Rally, lots of rambunctious folks were "Bounced" out of there and someone may have had a grudge against and employee or the owner.

Sam:biggrin:
Oh I'm not doubting the arson suspicion. I was just wondering why right off the bat. Like was the owner not the greatest citizen in the world or has there been other fires that were?

I find it hard to believe a business that had to be making tons of money each year in such a short time would resort to something that is rather easy to tell what started it.

We had a restaurant here go up in flames and arson was the first thing out of everyone's mouth. Turned out the fryer was left on. Now that may or may not have been done on purpose though.

The place never rebuilt either and was in a prime location(highway at exit) and nearly the only place worth a sit down meal. We couldn't go there because they used peanut oil. Something my wife is highly allergic to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts