Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is out of order but here's some historical background. I owned a bike just like this when I was in college. First thing I ever owned new in my life. Picked it off the show room floor after working 3 jobs to pay for school and saving for this. (I only dated gals with cars....). I rode it 24/7 as a necessity and I loved it. Wanted to capture that feeling again at this end of things.
Found it online years ago, before prices went nuts. Price of the bike and shipping would floor people how cheap it was then. It ran and drove great but was rusted up and had some dings. It needed work as it looked pretty hard. Had it shipped from Minnesota and rode if for a bit then started ordering parts for restoration that I wanted to do all by hand.
About this time I had a medical thing that kept me in a number of hospitals for most of two years. When I finally got the strength to put some real work in, I got after it. Stripped the bike down to the frame, hand sanded and polished everything. Replaced all bearings, brakes, hoses, cables, tires and so on. Complete upgrade to electrical. It was so much fun. Made a point of doing everything with what I had. What tools I didn't have, I made a ******* version of it.
Rattle canned, endless house of 0000 rubbing on chrome...etc. Now I'm at finishing and having spent a few weeks trying to figure out the wiring. I think I've finally figured it out after a bunch of dead ends tracing individual wires and reading schematics (which I can read now...ha).
I'll post more pics from start to finish if anyone would like me to add them here.
Here's a few pic's of the tank/side panels/point's cover/chain guard and disk brake cover I got back from a great paint dude. This guy has unreal credentials and mostly retired. He did this as a favor to me. He fixed several issues with the tank and it has no body puddy. I think the end product had nearly a a dozen clear coats and sanding to get that quality of deep color. I didn't want the factory paint color, even though this guy could mix it to exact Honda color. I liked this slightly deeper blue.
Here's the tank. If interested I'll do a progressive pics from the start to now. I lost some of the first pics but I've got a lot left. Let me know if it would be of interest.
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Sports equipment Automotive design
Sports gear Automotive tire Gadget Tints and shades Automotive design
Hood Blue Sports gear Automotive lighting Sports equipment

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
453 Posts
Yesterday I saw a pristine, stock-looking (non-stock colors, but kind-of close) 72 Chevy long-bed fleetside pickup pulling in to the grocery store parking lot. It was really eye-catching and sounded just slightly stronger than stock.

I think your Honda build is heading in that direction. Eye-catching, admirable, vintage like it should have been built. I look forward to seeing and reading about the finished product.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday I saw a pristine, stock-looking (non-stock colors, but kind-of close) 72 Chevy long-bed fleetside pickup pulling in to the grocery store parking lot. It was really eye-catching and sounded just slightly stronger than stock.

I think your Honda build is heading in that direction. Eye-catching, admirable, vintage like it should have been built. I look forward to seeing and reading about the finished product.
Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good! Keep us in the loop, remember your experience might help others.
Thank you. I just got my new ignition and waiting on a new harness. When it comes in, I'll get back at finishing it up. Other that the wiring, I'll be hitting the header pipes with a wire brush on my power power wheel. I'll follow it with a polishing wheel. It'll shine like a diamond when I'm done. Have new chrome mufflers as well.
When I start this final stage, I'll post some picture in a semi chronological order to date.
Thanks

·
Registered
CB125T, EX250 commuter, Ninja 250 racebike, CBR250R(MC19), VF500F, CBR600RR, VFR750F
617 Posts
Darn good work!!! Amazing paint! 👋

I've always thought bodywork panels are most difficult parts. You can slap together engine rebuild easily, parts really only fit one way. Same with electrics, either there's power or ground on wire, that's it.

But paint and bodywork... That's just magical what you've done.

·
Premium Member
2009 BMW R1200RT-Patrol
453 Posts
Danno, for some guys wires carry smoke. When the smoke escapes the wires no longer work.
For some guys body work is a two-pack of rattle cans. Whatever that doesn't fix does not need fixin.
Some run 'em until they stop running, then walk away towards the next victim.

Each of us has some things we are comfortable doing.
Nobody's art or skillset is all that spectacular ... unless it isn't yours.

Personally, in my prime I was a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none who somehow kept vehicles alive while I cleaned them up as much as any detail shop could and turned them over to get the next potentially awesome junker in my garage. Once in a while I did one right... via dumb luck as much as anything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darn good work!!! Amazing paint! 👋

I've always thought bodywork panels are most difficult parts. You can slap together engine rebuild easily, parts really only fit one way. Same with electrics, either there's power or ground on wire, that's it.

But paint and bodywork... That's just magical what you've done.
I would love to take credit for the paint. I have a great paint dude. This guy has worked with some of the best back in the day. He's mostly retired now and just works when he wants and did this for me as a favor. Tank had a couple of dings which he pulled and smoothed without puddy. Lots of paint and clear coats and sanding to get this color. He also had to reinforce the right panel. Those are impossible to find. I had one original left panel that was in perfect condition. The right one I just couldn't find that wasn't cracked. Picked up a 3d print panel that he reinforced. Solid as a rock.
I picked out this color because it just popped. It's a bit darker than the Honda color. I could have had it but I wanted this one. He had mixed several options for me to see and this is the one I went with. The credit for the paint goes to the paint dude..not me, but thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is out of order but here's some historical background. I owned a bike just like this when I was in college. First thing I ever owned new in my life. Picked it off the show room floor after working 3 jobs to pay for school and saving for this. (I only dated gals with cars....). I rode it 24/7 as a necessity and I loved it. Wanted to capture that feeling again at this end of things.
Found it online years ago, before prices went nuts. Price of the bike and shipping would floor people how cheap it was then. It ran and drove great but was rusted up and had some dings. It needed work as it looked pretty hard. Had it shipped from Minnesota and rode if for a bit then started ordering parts for restoration that I wanted to do all by hand.
About this time I had a medical thing that kept me in a number of hospitals for most of two years. When I finally got the strength to put some real work in, I got after it. Stripped the bike down to the frame, hand sanded and polished everything. Replaced all bearings, brakes, hoses, cables, tires and so on. Complete upgrade to electrical. It was so much fun. Made a point of doing everything with what I had. What tools I didn't have, I made a *** version of it.
Rattle canned, endless house of 0000 rubbing on chrome...etc. Now I'm at finishing and having spent a few weeks trying to figure out the wiring. I think I've finally figured it out after a bunch of dead ends tracing individual wires and reading schematics (which I can read now...ha).
I'll post more pics from start to finish if anyone would like me to add them here.
Here's a few pic's of the tank/side panels/point's cover/chain guard and disk brake cover I got back from a great paint dude. This guy has unreal credentials and mostly retired. He did this as a favor to me. He fixed several issues with the tank and it has no body puddy. I think the end product had nearly a a dozen clear coats and sanding to get that quality of deep color. I didn't want the factory paint color, even though this guy could mix it to exact Honda color. I liked this slightly deeper blue.
Here's the tank. If interested I'll do a progressive pics from the start to now. I lost some of the first pics but I've got a lot left. Let me know if it would be of interest.
View attachment 76908 View attachment 76909 View attachment 76910

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
836 Posts
About this time I had a medical thing that kept me in a number of hospitals for most of two years. When I finally got the strength to put some real work in, I got after it. Stripped the bike down to the frame, hand sanded and polished everything. Replaced all bearings, brakes, hoses, cables, tires and so on. Complete upgrade to electrical. It was so much fun. Made a point of doing everything with what I had. What tools I didn't have, I made a *** version of it.
View attachment 76908 View attachment 76909 View attachment 76910
Had one that color , Rode it for many years .., Almost bought one last year , but with as many bikes as I have , keep , sell , Did'nt have room , too much going on ...., Dammit ....LOL.. ,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had one that color , Rode it for many years .., Almost bought one last year , but with as many bikes as I have , keep , sell , Did'nt have room , too much going on ...., Dammit ....LOL.. ,
Do you sell any of your bikes?

·
Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
836 Posts
I buy , sell , trade ... Keep them for a while , then pas them on .., At a profit ..., Losing money is Not my game ....,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're doing some great work! Will you have to rebuild brake calipers and replace the fork seals?
Please keep us posted as your project goes forward!
Replaced the full calipers pads, rear shoes, fork seals, fork oil, all hose cables, bearings (front/back/steering), all electrical upgrade, rattle can frame after sanding, cleaned and polished by hand with 0000 all the motor, rims and everything else that was shiny. New tires and harness, horn, reg/rect, flasher relay, mirrors, rear pegs. mufflers and other stuff.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts