Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a maker of prescription lenses for full face helmets, similar to the prescription lenses you see on some football players' helmets?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I've never heard of any.

I wear glasses with memory titanium temples. These are thin and flexible enough to wear comfortably under a helmet.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
HAWK, you can google "prescription motorcycle visor"

but....

This article discusses why a full-visor prescription is...problematic. (Motorcycle OR football) Your eye is too far from the lens, AND the eye-to-lens distance varies around the visor.

http://www.sportrx.com/blog/tag/prescription-football-visors/

The shield you're seeing on NFL players helmets.... not sure it's actually prescription. Probably just anti-glare.

Your choices seem to be Rx goggles, the flexy titanium frames like Dod's suggests, or LASIK/PRK, which is down to about $1000/eye nowadays.

FWIW, I have begun purchasing ALL my eyewear from Zenni optical, online.

I've now got 3 pairs, under $120 total, including clip-ons, etc. Hi-index, glasses that USED to cost me $500+ a pair.

Here are their "memory titanium" frame choices.

http://www.zennioptical.com/eyeglas...5980648?Ntt=memory+titanium&Ntx=mode+matchall

Their quality is outstanding, and the prices...unbelievably good.

All you do is get a current prescription from your eye doctor, have THEM measure your pupillary distance (mine is 69mm), note it is DIFFICULT TO MEASURE CORRECTLY yourself, upload a picture of yourself sans eyewear to the Zenni site, try on as many pairs as you want ON SCREEN, and give 'em the old credit card...

I find I have to @#$# with the PD to get the "preview" to look correct.... in this instance I have PD set to 80 to make the glasses "look right" in the preview

Note: Getting the PD measurement correct is CRITICAL, preferably +1/-1 mm. You can TRUST ME on this...

They deliver in a little over a week.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, good stuff guys. Lasik surgery for $1000 an eye? I might just look into that! I miss having great vision...

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Cool, good stuff guys. Lasik surgery for $1000 an eye? I might just look into that! I miss having great vision...
Or you can wait and kill 2 birds when you have to have cataracts removed. Problem then is you need shades all the time because cataracts are natural shades. I didn't know that and the sun nearly blinded me after my surgeries.

But you got too many more years to wait. What they do today with eyes is amazing. I'd still see what others say about the doc you plan on using. I've heard some horror stories.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My eye doctor is great, but l doubt he actually does surgeries. I would think he could refer me to someone who is well respected though.

I just got glasses last year, so my coverage doesn't kick in again until next year.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind, and maybe l will ask about that when l; go back in. l want to say the doctor suggested l wasn't a good prescription for them.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I have prescription Costa's... wear them in my SHOEI GT-Air with the drop down shade.

When the sun goes down, the shade gets flipped up, then the Costas swapped for my regular Rx glasses.

When I'm not wearing a helmet, I have a pair of Wiley DV/X wrap around safety glasses with photogrey. Love them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts