Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a AFX FX-90 helmet, mainly because my ****** helmet isn't sealed, so when it's cold out, the cold air swirls around my face. Sometimes when using the helmet, shield starts to fog a bit, so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks for any help.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The fogging of your helmet, I think you understand. Eighth Grade Science class would have taught you about temps and condensation and moisture and all that.

I wore a full face for quite a while before going to a half-shell. the "solution" for me with the full-face, was to keep the shield open just a crack.

That said, the half-shell affords you some options. There are head socks and face masks out there for keeping you warm on those cool rides.

Another option is simply "don't ride when the temps and dampness factors into it. Heck, even goggles will fog up under the right conditions.

Are there sprays out there that you can put on your face shield to prevent fogging? Yep, I've seen a few, but have no experience with using them.

-Soupy

·
Registered
943 Posts
My cold weather helmet is a full-face snowmobile helmet and it has a small 12 volt heater to keep the shield free of frost and fog.

My other helmet is a cheap 3/4 and it fogs too but I can usually find a setting of the shield where it doesn't fog too badly. I don't like the wind noise with the 3/4 though.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Try Cat Crap Anti-Fog Lens Cleaner. It's about $6 at places like campmor.com. If that doesn't do the job, consider getting a pinlock visor if they make one for your helmet. If one isn't available for your helmet try Amazon for a universal Ant-Fog Visor Insert. I think the brand is Hyper Shield, maybe $15- 20.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Oz and everyone. It doesn't look like they make a pinlock visor for my helmet, so I bought some cat crap. I hope it doesn't smell like cat crap.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have tried some of the chemical stuff, old timers would say spit works.

But over time I found cracking the visor open to be the best long term solution for me. You don't need much, I wanted less than the first locking notch would allow so, I put a couple of pieces of tape on the helmet to keep the visor from locking shut.

I am a commuter so what I find not feasible for daily use might work fine for occasional use. I would get fogging almost every morning. :coffee:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Of course having a helmet that allows air to swirl around your face will keep the fogging down as long as you're moving. Then open the shield a bit when stopped.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have had an AFX90 helmet for over a year now and really like it. It is a lot lighter than the Gmax it replaced and so far I haven't had too much of a problem with fogging. Like others have said just slightly opening the face shield at a stop has always worked until moving again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts