Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, little bit about my situation:

I'm taking an A license course (all motorcycles fall under it) and had experience on a 125, 400 (restricted to 47 bhp) and a 600 honda hornet.

Still going through the course, done about 8 hrs so far and probably will do up to 15 before I'm test worthy...

What could I buy that's used? I like standard (naked?) bikes best according to taste and still not sure about size... The hornet felt too much bike at first but after a couple lessons I sort of grew to like it, any good medium sized standards you could reccomend to a beginner?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I'd recommend a twin cylinder to start with and avoid the inline 4 engine. I'm not sure what's available in your area, but you should be able to find something like that easily enough.

Your height and how you fit on the motorcycle will be a determining factor, as well as your budget. See what interests you first, then sit on a few to see if they will fit correctly and comfortably.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Honda is making a lot of mid-sized standard twins. That may be a good place to start, then compare price and fit with the other offerings out there.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Be careful with advice from this site. Most of us do not live in a place where graduated licenses exist so we are rather free in recommending a thing that may conflict with your local laws.
If you have experience on a 600cc bike and are ready for more power, I really like a big V-twin as the next step. All of the major manufacturers make them and they are not huge power monsters like you might find in a super sport. My own preference for your situation would be a Victory Vegas but that is because I am riding a Victory and really like it. Another almost standard that I once owned and loved was the Yamaha RSTD at 1300cc displacement and a mild tuned 4 cylinder. This one

The windshield took about 30 seconds to remove.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information, and sorry for the late reply.

First off, what makes a V-twin superior to a 4 inline? What's the practical difference in this case? Thanks ahead of time.

Also, some new information I that is relevant and other things I discovered + replies:

hogcowboy: Thanks the site looks cool, and I tinkered with it but no idea what I'm supposed to be doing honestly xP I'm not too picky on posture, I just want something leaning a bit forward, without sleeping on the tank, and anything works as long as I can reach without looking like a ballerina (most bikes should fit me, at least the Honda Hornet does)

Dodsfall: Any specific models I can look at? Do they have resale value? I plan on buying something used, don't want brand spanking new stuff, considering my experience and budget.

Oldman47: Thanks for the reply, great looking bike too! I don't think a dedicated cruiser (or dedicated sports for that matter) is what I have in mind though, something a bit more standard.

License wise, I can ride anything street legal, all over Europe (possibly outside of it too, not sure though), the problem would be insurance at my age (still 24). 25 is the "good age" apparently, so you can ride anything at 24, but... not really? Have to check in more detail about this.

I want to be able to tour a bit (Sicily, possibly Italy and then double back) with this first bike I get, so should be semi comfortable, reliable, decent mileage, and also useable for daily commutes (handles very thick traffic, hot temperatures in the summer, good part of the road filled with potholes so, I can dodge most, but a couple I may end up dining on).

Also, my friend got a ninja 300 (couple years old, barely any milage, brand spanking new). I don't like the bike that much (wouldn't tell him that, he spent some good money on it) but it's what he acquired for his restricted license (A2, means can't exceed 47bhp). I don't have restrictions so I can get a slightly bigger used bike provided insurance is affordable and it suits my needs.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Bikes in the EU go by different names and there are brands and models we don't get here. So a lot of what we recommend may not be available or suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A twin is better than an in line 4 in a significant way, for a newish rider. A twin will give you more power than you are used to having without giving you so much it is hard to control. My every day ride is a 1731cc Victory Vision which would be all but uncontrollable displacement in a 4 or 6 cylinder engine for a person recently riding a 600cc bike. From my perspective steps up in power should be taken slowly and a twin is not going to be as peaky in power as a typical multi of the same displacement would be. I went from a 500cc twin to a 1300cc 4 cylinder to a 1650cc twin to my present 1731cc twin. Going from that 1300cc 4 to the 1650cc twin was no change at all in power. The much larger engine simply did not give more power because it was only a twin. Configuration does make a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, thanks a lot OM47, upon going over your explanation I feel a 4 inline might be the bad approach here.

Just to check and confirm, since I have set my sights on a Kawi ER-6N, this is a "Parallel Twin". More accurately as per wikipedia:

649 cc (39.6 cu in), liquid-cooled, DOHC, parallel twin with digital fuel injection
Is this the same as any other Twin (like a V Twin)? Will it be peaky or manageable as well?

The bike itself has about 20 - 30 bhp less than the other inlines I was looking at previously (GSR 600, Hornet 600, Yammy FZ6), which should prove to be even tamer, without being weak (at least based on reviews it's still fine power wise).

The only downside is it doesn't have ABS, do you think this would be an issue? I don't intend on being a maniac and to the best of my abilities I'll predict and ride cautiously, but would ABS prove to be a life saver? Is it something I can delay for a later bike purchase, or should I make it a requirement? If so, I have no idea what kind of naked bike I should get...

Finally, I had to face my demon - budget. I was hoping to spend no further than 3 grand but I quickly realized all I'll find will be a mixture of very old, poorly kept, banged or crashed bikes better defined as "lemons" and should that not be the case, the bike would probably look bad from my point of view, which is a pointless act of getting a bike since I don't want to look like a salmon riding a banana.

This means I'm now looking at the recent ones, the most interesting bike I found thus far was this one:
maltapark.com/item.aspx?ItemID=4672315

Pricy but description is informative (lot more than you would ask for on that website, most people wouldn't even spell Kawasaki right, and if they do, they'll probably write "immaculate condition" in the description, which would turn out to be anything but in person).

I would like your experienced thoughts on the matter, is this still too much power? Not enough? Am I overlooking something potentially cheaper, with similar styling that might be worth looking at first?

Thanks for your support thus far, it's been very informative.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A parallel twin and a V twin each will produce about the same power at the same displacement. There will be a difference in engine sounds. That Harley lope will only be heard from an engine that has a single crank pin and has a V configuration. A parallel twin will have a more uniform sound because the power pulses are equally spaced in time.
I really like my ABS brakes but I rode for a lot of years without them with no real troubles.
That Kawasaki is going to be fine for power on a move up from a 600cc bike. Now you need to decide if it is really the right bike for you. Have you actually seen one in person? Does it fit you well? How does it feel from the driver's seat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I plan on visiting one this coming Thursday, will check it over get on it, have a look and feel around see if it's something I see myself riding.

It definitely has the looks from my perspective, I want to make sure it fits my person and got the confirmation I'm looking for from you that this might be more the kind and level of power I should be looking at.

Will hopefully keep you updated as things progress, thanks a lot OM47 :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts