Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time finding a decent replacement for this. The one from Honda is 120$+ and all the aftermarket ones I order are 18mm at the bung and I need one that is 20 mm x 1mm. This is the part number 16950-MA4-77. I have tried rebuilding this piece, and it looks like the PO did too. I had success for about 3 rides, and it leaks again. I have no reserve and no off, and it is annoying me.

Is there anyway of hooking a hose straight to the bung putting an in line valve in place and screwing the petcock all together? 120$ is half of what I paid for the bike, and I cant justify paying that for something that will break in 6 months anyways.

Any ideas are helpfull ones. I have contacted several aftermarket manufacturers without much sucess. They all claim it has an 18mm bung, but my tank says 1982 honda on it and has a 20mm bung.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You could just use an inline valve, although you would have to watch out for running out of fuel not having a reserve.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
You're right. He did say 1mm pitch, didn't he?

I can't tell from the pics if the nut on the one above could be switched out or not.

Maybe Pingel makes a 20mm x 1mm to NPT adapter? Then he could put on an in-line valve like you suggested.

·
Registered
533 Posts
WARNING: I am crazy, so take what I say with a grain of salt, and consider your own safety.

On a friends old Honda, I think it was a 550. The petcock leaked and a replacement could not be found in a timely manner, this was before internet.

We where able to seal up the valve face with gas tank sealer (putty) in the open position. And added an inline shutoff from a riding lawn mower.

He used it for awhile, but keep in mind your petcock is vacuum activated, so you have to remember to shut it off manually every time. If not should your floats stick, you will NOT like the outcome.

He rode it that way until he found a used tank in better shape with a usable petcock. I would recommend you search for a used replacement.

·
Registered
533 Posts
OP, there is a used parts guy near me in Louisville, KY.

Magnum cycle, you will have to google it. He has a FaceBook page and you can find his phone number, but far as I know he has no web site.

I don't know if he could help you are not, but lots of folks use him, and he did have parts for my 1984 Goldwing.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts