Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This regarding my 2018 sportster fuel tank. I accidentally dropped a dime size of plastic cardboard from an additive cap inside my motorcycle fuel tank. Is that going to clog my gas flow? How can I fish it out?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Don't know if it will block your fuel flow, but to get it out, you'll probably have to pull the tank off the bike.
Pour a little fuel in it, swish it around and dump it out over a plastic tub or something. Keep doing it until it comes out.
I'd be worried about that thing breaking down, coming apart and getting in to the fuel injection system.

·
American Legion Rider
19,018 Posts
I'd be worried about that thing breaking down, coming apart and getting in to the fuel injection system
That would be my concern as well. I would do my best to get it out before it starts to melt down. Might be a lot of work but better now than broken down on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I think it may float. Might be able to get it out by filling the tank and reaching in with a couple of fingers.

·
American Legion Rider
19,018 Posts
A long pair of hemostats would be better. You could reach the bottom and fish for it then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This regarding my 2018 sportster fuel tank. I accidentally dropped a dime size of plastic cardboard from an additive cap inside my motorcycle fuel tank. Is that going to clog my gas flow? How can I fish it out?
That would be my concern as well. I would do my best to get it out before it starts to melt down. Might be a lot of work but better now than broken down on the side of the road.
It is a lot of work😫

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a lot of work😫
But you guys are right, I better get it out right now as early as possible before it disintegrates in there, taking a sportster fuel tank out is not easy especially if you’re not a mechanic but I’ve seen some stuff over YouTube where you just have to disconnect the electrical & that’s it, hopefully, thank you.

·
American Legion Rider
19,018 Posts
I better get it out right now as early as possible before it disintegrates in there,
I was thinking about that statement and my own about it
and depending on exactly what kind of plastic the cap
was made of, but if an additive, probably you really
don't have to worry too much about it.

What are mostof the gas "cans" made of today, plastic.
I'd still want to get it out, but I don't think you need to
panic. It will probably just find a low place and stay there
for eternity. But I'd want it out if it were my bike. (y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
2,987 Posts
Get another cap from the same stuff and see if it floats or sinks in gas. That will set your course of action.

If it floats, fill the tank, fish it out with hemostats.
If it sinks, remove the tank and dump it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,648 Posts
Geez Mike, where are you finding all this common sense?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts