Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aquired a 2001 Kawasaki KE 100 with only 249 miles and it hasn't been started in more than 10 years.
To remove the gas cap push down and turn the key - but it won't push down so won't turn. I don't mind buying a new gas cap but how do I remove the old one?
The fuel valve doesn't turn so how do I loosen it?
The throttle doesn't turn because the slide is stuck. The choke button is stuck. The whole carburetor is STUCK.
Everything in the fuel system is STUCK.
Is there anything I can soak those items in that will free them up?
Do I need to buy all new parts?

I'm 80 and haven't worked on a motorcycle in several years but riding and racing for 60 years and doing my repairs I've never had a problem like this.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Solvents are your friend.
Carburetor cleaner, gumout, pure seafoam fuel system cleaner, fuel injector cleaner, something like that designed for fuel system cleaning is your best bet. I'd try gumout spray, shoot it into the keyhole on the gas cap, all over and inside the stuck parts, and with some wiggling I bet they loosen up. You'll no doubt be rebuilding the carburetor but that's not so bad.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Wot 2 said. Even bikes that get out a lot in the winter months get stuck parts. Remove the carburetor and clean it. Set the float height. Oils may free up other bits, but sometimes it pays to buy new cables. Squirt the gas cap with an un stick spray. There are many products. Everyone has their favourite.
If we sat for only ten weeks, we would be hard to move.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
You may have to take the tank off, and spray what ever you are using, on the cap with it upside down to get the stuff onto the top of the tank opening and bottom of cap. Repeat every where you can spray the stuff until it frees up. Don't give up but be patient. 10 years can create a good bond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts