Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an issue with my bike on startup, and after talking with people, I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump. the fuel pump is supposed to make a solid whining noise on startup. mine used to do that, until during cold humid mornings, the whining noise started to die down a bit as the pitch changes kind of like a broken record. and when I try to start up the bike, the bike wouldn't get enough fuel, and it dies, even when I try to rev it up, it still might not get enough fuel and dies. I would hit the ignition again to restart the bike and try a couple of more times before the bike starts up normally, and there's no issues after that.

sometimes during startup, I would rev up the engine, and the fuel pump would have trouble keeping up. and then suddenly, the fuel injection jumps, and the taco jumps from 3k to like 6k rpm.

sometimes, the fuel pump fails to start, and the FI light comes on. I would then have to turn the key to restart the bike to make the fuel pump come on.

The issue is moisture related because it happens most often during mornings/nights and after raining. During hot days in the middle of the afternoon, I get very little issues.

people have been telling me I might need a new fuel pump, but my hunch is that there's something wrong with an electrical connection. any advice on what I can do to find out what's really wrong? I don't have the troubleshooting tool to bring up dealer mode btw.

I know I've already started a thread on this, but I want to make this one about the actual technical issue. I'd like to try to troubleshoot the problem myself before bringing it to a mechanic.

Also, I've been told that I can get an aftermarket fuel pump for my sv on ebay for like $50. I've seen them, and they look like a kit that you have to put together. The OEM fuel pumps cost $300 used. What's the difference?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
What kind of bike is this for?

If you have a repair manual it will probably spell out a test procedure for the fuel pump, but I guess a good place to start would be to check the voltage at the pump connection if that's possible.

I would suspect you can also check the fuel output for pressure and/or volume and compare it to book specs.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
If it's a Harley, they are known to get a hole in one of the fuel lines in the tank so they don't hold pressure. Does the problem go away with a full tank the reappear somewhere around a half tank?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03 suzuki sv650s.

I don't have a fuel gauge. I can probably get a voltage meter pretty easily from walmart or something

1 - 4 of 4 Posts