Motorcycle Forum banner

fuel line and carb help needed on a 79 gs550l

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  OldVet66 
#1 ·
gonna start with a bit of a story. bought my firts bike got it home I cleaned it up and made a list of missing things and what not I start by buying a service book for it a week and a half ago this week i got a battery and some fuel line. I get the battery all ready and had a little trouble with it but got that sorted out and now onto the trouble yesterday I hooked up the gas tank to the best of my judgment because the service manual was incredibly vague about hooking up the fuel line and vacuum hose to the carbs I poured some gas about a half gallon into the tank and turned the tap from reserve to on and fuel started pouring out the left outside carb vent hose and around the air cleaner. Now my first question is did I screw up on attaching the hoses? these pics are before I put the gas tank on and hooked up in the pics I marked blue for vacuum hose and red for fuel line.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, gas SHOULD NOT have flowed out of your tank at all in either the 'on' or the 'reserve' positions. Without the engine running, there is no vacuum at the fuel petcock. With no vacuum at the fuel petcock, the gas flow is shut OFF . . . unless you have the petcock set on "Prime". In that case, fuel flows from the tank whether the engine is running or not.

So, first order of business is to repair the fuel petcock. Just take it apart and clean it out really good and then replace the internal rubber seal that directs the flow of fuel into either the "on" position, the "Reserve" position, or the "Prime" position. Fuel petcock rebuild kits are generally available online for pretty much any bike. Start with that, then we'll continue with the diagnosis.

#7 ·
instead of buying a petcock rebuild kit I went ahead and bought a new petcock since it wasn't that much more than a rebuild kit. I have it installed on the tank and tomorrow I'll be putting the tank back on. I have one other question along the same subject I have this part on the underside of the tank and I'm not sure what it is and if a hose should be on it and where it goes. heres a pic to help.

Attachments

#12 ·
it's been awhile but i got an update. gas tank and lines are all hooked up and the carbs have been adjusted the best we could without a carb sync tool. all thats left is getting some rear brake pads and pins for the rear caliper and the bikes will be ready to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.