Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding all my life, but for the first time today I experienced a new problem. My cycles throttle was froze solid. My brake lever was frozen. My starter switch was as well. My cycles sit out in the elements uncovered. I have a lot of antifreeze for my car, but I really didn't think I would need to use it. I took a bucket of hot water and thawed it all out in one dump then started my ride with fully functioning controls. 10 minutes into my ride everything began to freeze up despite my high attention to keeping a lot of action in the throttle. Took me like 7 seconds to do a proper shift fighting my controls. My brake lever struggled to release. Needless to say it was very dangerous. Now I am at my destination. I rly dont care about my cycle so I am going to thaw it again and use some antifreeze on it. I do have a heated garage now but I am not even going to use it.

Anyways...getting to the point of all this. Anyone got advice to keeping my cycle working properly in this exceptionally cold weather we are experiencing? Will a heated grip keep my throttle functioning? How do I address my levers? How do I address my ignition switch? I work at a sand plant so my cycle is constantly exposed to fine sand holding rain moisture.

Attachments

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do u think it was strictly a moisture problem? i think even with a cover the controls would have experienced this issue. The reason I avoid covers is I am exposed to large gusts of winds that would most likely blow over my cycle if it were covered.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I do have a heated garage now but I am not even going to use it.

Anyways...getting to the point of all this. Anyone got advice to keeping my cycle working properly in this exceptionally cold weather we are experiencing? Will a heated grip keep my throttle functioning? How do I address my levers? How do I address my ignition switch? I work at a sand plant so my cycle is constantly exposed to fine sand holding rain moisture.
You already stated the answer.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Have I read this right? The OP has a heated garage "but I am not even going to use it." Anyone else see a problem here? I think his cognitive thinking ability has left his body.
Yeah, I saw that but was sorta thinking maybe he meant he couldn't use it. That would make more sense but even then I think I'd try desperately to get my bike in there. But I was trying not to question him. You went and dragged me it though didn't you TR.:surprise::crying::smile:

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have a garage at my worksite...not in the middle of woods when walking away from my cycle, or wherever else. best to find a solution in a controlled environment.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Yeah, I saw that but was sorta thinking maybe he meant he couldn't use it. That would make more sense but even then I think I'd try desperately to get my bike in there. But I was trying not to question him. You went and dragged me it though didn't you TR.:surprise::crying::smile:
I love dragging you into these things cowboy, I thought you liked being combative at times? I get what you're saying, and had he tried to phrase it in some form of bad malapropism I could give him the benefit of the doubt, even laugh. But I can't, no matter how I try, derive 'couldn't' from "not even going to try."

In his follow-up post it would seem he has a garage where he works,,,,,, but not in the middle of the woods?? when walking away from his cycle, or something....his solution is best found in a controlled environment......... I realize writing with clarity can be difficult, but damn...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
I am lost wondering around in the woods looking for the missing garage. If anyone finds me, please point me back to civilization.

As far as the OP's problem, since refuses to use garages, then a cover is probably his only option. I have never heard of wind blowing over a bike because of a cover.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I certainly have. You need to catch some of the wind we have here. Put a cover lashed down tight to a smallish bike and it will go over. Of course it also has to have a certain amount downhill grade and you miss that little feature, but yep, they can get blown over. Now my 900+ pounder, no way.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
do u think it was strictly a moisture problem? i think even with a cover the controls would have experienced this issue. The reason I avoid covers is I am exposed to large gusts of winds that would most likely blow over my cycle if it were covered.

It’s the moisture and the quick freeze.
I ride in dry cold all the time with no issues but one time I got in a similar situation, rode into work in 35 degree rain, 16 hours later it was 20 degrees. Turn signals, key, throttle, kill switch and trunk lid on my bike we’re all frozen. I got everything working with a little heat, then rode home carefully avoiding the ice patches. The problem cleared up after everything dried out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
Maybe a cover wouldn't help, but sitting out uncovered insures that everything gets a thorough soak with every shower, or even with just a heavy dew overnight. When a cold snap comes, problems with frozen controls are almost inevitable. I use covers religiously, letting my bike cool after a ride and putting the cover on ASAP. Of course, they still get wet when I ride through showers, but at least they never get to the soaked-through stage, and I have never yet had the controls freeze. I have a neighbor who leaves his two Harleys out, uncovered, in all weather, and he complains of occasional control freezes in the winter. Well, duhhh… My pickup sits out in the open, too, and I can count on doors freezing shut 6 or 8 times per winter. The cars are in an open carport -- never a problem.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Quote from CANTSiR, " I rly dont care about my cycle so I am going to thaw it again and
use some antifreeze on it. I do have a heated garage now but I am not even going to use it..
I took a bucket of hot water and thawed it all out in one dump then started my ride with fully
functioning controls.

I suppose 'rly' means REALY? If I were not such a nice guy, I would ask, "Are you a dumb fu&* ?"
I'm in Florida and I think enough of my bikes to get a shed. I can't see you riding all your life with
what little brains you have. I would be SO embarrassed to admitting I leave my bikes out in the
elements. You sure as hell don't seem to respect your OWN bikes. . .to say you have a heated
garage and not use it. . .not even get a good waterproof tarp? I can say without a doubt,"Your
brains sure as hell are not fully functioning. Could it be cancer?" Why would you even want to
admit these things about your bike to anyone?

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
meh to each their own...i guess i will have to sit back while 80 more ppl comment similar things without understanding or patience to read further.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I love dragging you into these things cowboy, I thought you liked being combative at times? I get what you're saying, and had he tried to phrase it in some form of bad malapropism I could give him the benefit of the doubt, even laugh. But I can't, no matter how I try, derive 'couldn't' from "not even going to try."

In his follow-up post it would seem he has a garage where he works,,,,,, but not in the middle of the woods?? when walking away from his cycle, or something....his solution is best found in a controlled environment......... I realize writing with clarity can be difficult, but damn...
Hello TR, yeah I was thinking he has a heated garage at his house, maybe I am wrong but even
if he put the bike up close to the house with a patio brick under the kick stand in such a way it
could not fall over, then cover it. . .but throwing a bucket of water over it and with all the dust
that could be on it. . .then talking about antifreeze?

Sometimes I had one of my bikes at the house cuz I got back from my ride too late to put it at the
storage place but I have a good overhang over garage and front porch, still I had a tarp over it.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Quote from CANTSiR, "I do have a heated garage now but I am not even going to use it."

He does not say, "I do have a heated garage now but I am NOT able to use it." He makes
you feel he does NOT want to use it.

Considering that kind of frigid weather and the chance for hitting black ice, why even ride a
motorcycle?

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
frozen bike controls (and brain too)

Maybe a cover wouldn't help, but sitting out uncovered insures that everything
gets a good soaking. I have a neighbor who leaves his two Harleys out, uncovered, in all weather, and he complains of occasional control freezes in the winter. Well, duhhh…
Rather strange that people would leave a couple of bikes out uncovered in all weather, I can't see
owning bikes and not taking care of them. I had mine in a storage unit and then got a shed so
they are in my back yard. But yeah, the guy one house east of me lets his riding mower stay out
all year even though he has a shed, then busts his ass trying to get it going. . .go figure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts