Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced OEM brake pads over 40k on rear and 20k on fronts of my 09 Harley Street Glide.
It lasted two years,But recenlty I found they are worn gradually.
I read many posts online and it's well known that front brakes pads wear down faster than the rear.
But I found that the opposite case in my Harley Street Glide.
Is it normal ? Any one can tell me why ?
Thank you.

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
--

First off, your post doesn't make sense. However, I would guess that more wear will come from pads dragging while cruising than from the short time you are applying pressure with your hand or foot. As the pads are dragging slightly anyway, the pistons being slightly dirty will have enough friction to keep the pads touching the rotors such that if you feel your rotors after riding awhile, you may find the rotors so hot you won't be able to keep you fingers on one. Therefore, the dirtiest ones should wear the most.

I didn't know it was common knowledge the front wear faster. ???

--

· Premium Member
6,225 Posts
The brake you use the most wears fastest; I know some riders who 'never' use the front brake, so they last nearly forever. Dirty calipers can make a big difference if you use the brakes normally, as mentioned by RonK, so keep them clean!

· Very Famous Person
10,116 Posts
The rear wears out for me faster than the front.
--

Several things here. First is that the brake you use the most will probably develop more pad brake dust than the others and will more probably get 'sticky pistons' and hang up slightly more. Then too, most people rarely ever flush their rear brake caliper if they have bags on, which means they're usually dirtier. Plus, the rear brake gets less air and will cool down when riding much slower.

Now while it's recommended that one use the front brake more than the rear since the brake stopping power is greater there, in fact it's nearly impossible to 'know' how much relative pressure you're using when comparing the front brake lever with two calipers being squeezed with two fingers compared to the foot pressure on the rear single caliper brake with a leg and boots on. So unless you are not touching one brake at all, it's all a guess.

--

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
My bike has two calipers on the front and, of course, one on the rear.

I use the front brake for braking, the rear more for balance instead of stopping.

The pads wear much quicker on the front.... I don't have a clue as to why. :wink2:

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
What Semi said.
My bigger bikes have four times as many pads on the front, as on the rear. But I just replace them when needed without thinking much about it. I do make sure none are dragging.
I rode with another guy last week. He applied the brakes on most of the corners. I did not touch my brakes following him, so gained distance every corner.

UK

· Registered
5 Posts
It is no concerned about me whether if front brake pads wear out faster than the front or not.
Just replace them when they are worn .
And high performance brake pads on Hexautoparts are not expensive and totally affordable for every one.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I've actually never changed a single pad in over 500k miles. That's on various bikes of course. But if I ever do I'm sure it will be fronts since that's what I use. Rears never used except for u-turns or emergency stops. I use engine braking for assistance and really try NOT to have emergency stops anyway by riding sane. ;) Although I did use the rears to put a load on my Indian while logging data on my PVCX. Linked brakes will change the rate rears are used for many as they become more common as well. Since many don't know how to properly apply both brakes, linked brakes will help in that regard and for those like me that normally only use fronts, we'll suddenly be using rears more too. Well I won't as I have my last bike and it doesn't have linked brakes. But it will be a good thing generally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.