Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Been dealing a with a pretty frustrating issue lately. I don't log many miles on my bike but a year or so ago (I mean I really barely ride), I put a new tire on my bike before a ride to Gatlinburg, TN. While there I started to notice a subtle, rhythmic bounce in the front-end. I didn't pay it much mind as it wasn't too bad. Now as time has led on, the bounce is pretty pronounced and annoying. I have barely logged 2k miles on the tire itself. Back tire is relatively newer as well.

The best way I can describe it is when I'm cruising around 30 mph or so it's smooth then bumbumBUMBUMBUMbumbum..smooth again, repeat over and over until I'm done riding. It's not so bad that I feel like I'm going to fly off the bike or anything but it is enough to make me nervous. I don't let the wife ride on the back anymore as it's starting to feel worse.

So far I've done the following:
- checked for play in the triple-tree bearings (no play)
- Balanced the front tire

I've seen the following as possible issues but just want to make sure I'm maximizing time.
- Bad wheel bearings
- front fork oil
- inner wall of tire damaged
- bad suspension
- out of tune spokes

One thing I will mention, the bike is my dad's old bike. He hit a pretty big pothole about a year after he bought it (2001ish). It put a very, very small bump in the front wheel. Virtually unnoticeable unless you're really looking. I hate to think that would be the issue as I had never noticed the bouncing until the Gatlinburg trip and I would hate to shell out $300 just to see if that's the issue. However, I'm losing my mind about this rumble and just want to be able to enjoy riding my bike again. Any one ever experience anything like this before? Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Front wheel bounce

If your wheel a spoke configuration?
If so may I suggest checking for True Roundness.
Take the front wheel and set a Dial Indicator in place,
Spin the wheel to see if there is a Bobble.
Check side to side as well as the round.
Any deviation of True will result in Bounce.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
If your wheel a spoke configuration?
If so may I suggest checking for True Roundness.
Take the front wheel and set a Dial Indicator in place,
Spin the wheel to see if there is a Bobble.
Check side to side as well as the round.
Any deviation of True will result in Bounce.
If you don't have a dial indicator you can use a screwdriver held close to the rim as you spin the wheel.
I know, not very high tech but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to see as little as .020" out of true.

" Any one ever experience anything like this before? " - Schembre91
Yes, I had a defective Avon front tire one time. I chased the deceleration wobble all over that bike. Finally I changed the front tire, it was fixed.
Well I wanted it to have tapered neck bearings anyway...

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
I've seen the following as possible issues but just want to make sure I'm maximizing time.
- Bad wheel bearings
- front fork oil
- inner wall of tire damaged
- bad suspension
- out of tune spokes

One thing I will mention, the bike is my dad's old bike. He hit a pretty big pothole about a year after he bought it (2001ish). It put a very, very small bump in the front wheel. Virtually unnoticeable unless you're really looking. I hate to think that would be the issue as I had never noticed the bouncing until the Gatlinburg trip and I would hate to shell out $300 just to see if that's the issue. However, I'm losing my mind about this rumble and just want to be able to enjoy riding my bike again. Any one ever experience anything like this before? Thanks!
You can easily check for looseness in the spokes, just tap them with a tool. If they 'rattle' you get to do spokes.
When you get the wheel off bad wheel bearings will feel rough as you turn them. If they have 'play' they are way bad.
You may not be able to see that the tire is defective or damaged, if it is.
I would think that if it is a problem with the suspension it would be easy to spot that due to other symptoms.

A very small bump in the wheel? Only a problem if it makes the tire run out of round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give the spokes a test in the coming days. Might do some research about a local place that can true up a tire. I don't have any experience with that. Thanks for the responses. I'll update as the situation evolves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts