Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Fellow Riders:

Does my Jbox need rebuild or is there a hot wire?

Could the following problem be a Jbox rebuild or is my problem a wire becoming energized on its own. Heres the scenario...

Front directional lights and instrumentation lights go on after ignition turned off. This is an intermittent problem that only seems to occur after bike is very warm/hot after a long ride. When the lights do comeback on, it happens about 5 to 10 minutes after bike is switched off. when the lights come on on their own, the lights will go off when the ignition is switched On then Off. Already had to buy a new battery last week when the lights came on and i forgot to check them so they drained the battery beyond it being able to take a charge.

The ignition switch was replaced and problem still exists.

I think there is a wire intermittently being energized. There is only a small amount of wires exposed so before i start to tear open the wiring harnesses, does anyone have any suggestion?

In advance, Thank You ~ dcPE

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Tracing the wiring to find the short is the only way to find it. Look for any areas that have been modified or damaged.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Oh boy, an intermittent short, my FAVORITE to diagnose....let's start with a few questions:

What kind of bike?

What's a Jbox? Junction box?

What accessories have PO's wired in?

Start by downloading a schematic, .pdf, and provide a link here... if you want MY help.

I'd pull fuses one at a time WHEN IT HAPPENS to isolate which circuit is FEEDING power to the light circuit.

If pulling the fuse to the light circuit is the ONLY one that extinguishes the lamps, then the short is UPSTREAM of the fusebox...

If pulling the fuse to the light circuit does NOT extinguish the lamps then you've got a downstream short from another circuit --- which isn't guaranteed to be a fused circuit...

I'd keep your bike on a trickle charger at ALL times until you get it resolved unless you want to buy MORE batteries.

You might also hard wire in a switch to the directional lamps UNTIL you get the problem solved....just so they CANT come on in the garage once youve walked away...

Visual / physical inspection of the wire(s) , all the way from the directional signal up to the ignition switch, through the relays, J-box, etc. is the only method that will eventually SHOW you the damaged/chafed/corroded wires causing the problem.

(Although right now I'd bet $ on some sort of relay problem...)

So start taking plastic off so you can SEE all the wires.

Depending on what your time is worth, consider taking it to a Auto Electric shop.... NOT a motorcycle shop... They'll have it diagnosed and repaired in under 3 hours provided you supply them with a schematic and take all the plastic off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is where I am at.....

I checked the wires around the jbox all looks good. I put the bike back together to let the problem re-occur. When the lights go back on by themselves after the ignition is turned off (after a 5 to 10 minute time delay), then I’ll tap the junction box to see what happens. From the Kawi forums I got a few replies saying to tap the jbox and even get more aggressive and hit it pretty good with the handle of a hammer. If the lights go off after the jbox is hit then they say the jbox is the culprit and needs replacement.

However, what I will do first is after I find the lights come on I’ll move around the exposed wiring harnesses under the fairing. If the lights go out or blink then I can continue to isolate what wire in what wire harness is at fault. If this has no effect, I’ll pull fuses at the jbox, one at a time, till the lights go out in order to isolate the circuit fault.

Last note is that I took the bike for a small run – 30 miles each direction. The lights did not come on from either ride. Won’t be back on the bike till either tomorrow night or Sunday so time will tell.

Really appreciate everyone's technical support.

~ David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW....
The bike is a ..... 2001 Concours ZG1000A16 with 60,000 miles.

I am the original owner and can state that there have been no modifications or accessories added to the bike.

jbox is Junction Box which on this bike it is also the primary fuse box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update as I wait for the intermittent problem to reappear.....

The problem with the lights coming on on their own has not yet come to light (pardon the pun). The bike has been on quite a few rides with the longest around 150 miles. It is these longer rides when the bike seems to get really hot that the problem “sometimes” appears. All the other rides have been under 75 miles with no problems when it comes to the lighting situation (I do have a recent “mechanical” problem though).

It’s been a few weeks since I last communicated anything so I figured I would give an update. I plan on a few long trips in October so we’ll see what happens.

Thx for hanging in there with me.

~ David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lights go on after ignition turned off

Update #2:

My Tech assistance friends.... Still waiting for problem to reappear. Been on many rides over the past few weeks and lights haven't yet turned on. In time!

Just another progress post.

~ FYI, David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts