Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No spring this year I guess. We went right from too cold to be fun to ride, to 90 degrees today. I was out riding and must admit that I stopped at one point, packed my jacket and gloves in the trunk, and rode bare handed and just a t-shirt and jeans. Riding was good, stopping was really hot.

Reactions: seagullplayer

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
Dang guys. That sounds more like the kind of weather we normally get. Yesterday was great here although they did have rain predicted. We still rode. In fact we just got our first tornado warnings yesterday and again today. Today the rain is spotty here though. Parts are getting hammered. We are just getting a light shower now and then that only lasts a couple minutes. But the temps are great here now. Haven't hit a single 90º yet so we are actually getting something that sorta looks like spring. That's rare here.

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
This was crazy, I was literally worried about riding in snow on the way home from Pittsburgh on Sunday, and now we had 95F on Wednesday.

I slightly screwed up yesterday, I rode into work yesterday at 03:30, the air was 50 ish and chilly, I wore Jeans and a black leather jacket with a light fleece under it, I was perfectly comfortable on my Vision with the fairing stopping the wind.

I leave to go home at 15:30, and it's 96F! I packed the fleece, opened the vents on my jacket and lowered the windshield, I was hot but ok for a while but then I got stuck in traffic and between that and the blazing sun I basically melted, in 20 minutes I was getting seriously woozy..it was stay ATTGAT and die or take drastic action!

I pulled off the road, packed the leather jacket and gloves and rode in my white work shirt with my visor open..I was in NJ still so the helmet wasn't optional or I might have even left that off for a few minutes too, I was THAT hot! The air felt wonderful and despite feeling like I was going to be flayed alive at any minute once the traffic cleared up I made it home in one piece and avoided heatstroke too!

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riding in the cold is not much fun, but is doable' riding in the high heat is almost unbearable and certainly not fun. Once it gets much over 90 degrees the rushing air is not cooling you down at all but almost makes it seem hotter. All of this convinces me even more that those rare "Goldilocks" days, when it is not too hot, not too cold, not too windy, with a blue sky above are what I live for. It only seems to happen a few days a year, but when it does, I find myself thinking "life does not get better than this!" as I ride my motorcycle. Add to this having good roads to ride on, with enough curves and ups and downs and good scenery that it makes you feel you are in motorcycle heaven for at least awhile. Two years ago I went down to the Tail of the Dragon area and spent a day on the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. The road was great, the weather was perfect and I literally was thinking at the time that if I was to drop dead that moment I could die happy and satisfied. The two day ride back to Illinois that ended my road trip, all in 95 degree heat and much of it in heavy traffic on boring roads had me thinking I wish I had my car and a trailer for the bike. But that one day on the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as the time spent at the Dragon and riding the Cherohala Skyway, made it a trip to remember forever.

Reactions: mike721

· On The Road Again!
4,156 Posts
I know the feeling, Vito.
Right now it's 90 degrees here. I was roasting out there in the direct sun.
I have some time and I thought about going for a ride, but it's just too damned hot right now.
A couple of days ago, it was too cold.
Dammit!

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
This was crazy, I was literally worried about riding in snow on the way home from Pittsburgh on Sunday, and now we had 95F on Wednesday.

I slightly screwed up yesterday, I rode into work yesterday at 03:30, the air was 50 ish and chilly, I wore Jeans and a black leather jacket with a light fleece under it, I was perfectly comfortable on my Vision with the fairing stopping the wind.

I leave to go home at 15:30, and it's 96F! I packed the fleece, opened the vents on my jacket and lowered the windshield, I was hot but ok for a while but then I got stuck in traffic and between that and the blazing sun I basically melted, in 20 minutes I was getting seriously woozy..it was stay ATTGAT and die or take drastic action!

I pulled off the road, packed the leather jacket and gloves and rode in my white work shirt with my visor open..I was in NJ still so the helmet wasn't optional or I might have even left that off for a few minutes too, I was THAT hot! The air felt wonderful and despite feeling like I was going to be flayed alive at any minute once the traffic cleared up I made it home in one piece and avoided heatstroke too!
Now you know why long T-shirts and no helmet or half helmet with jeans and boots & gloves is basically the prescribed gear in this part of the country in summer. And we have some of the biggest parking lots going at commute hours. Heat kills just as well so when you ride for months in 95º+ temps ATGATT sorta goes out the window so to speak.

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Actually I find I am cooler with my mesh jacket ( it's just very open mesh and armor) than just a tshirt, it takes the suns heat and isolates it from my shirt and skin but lets the air from the slightest movement through just fine. Dead stopped, nothing works.

Now you know why long T-shirts and no helmet or half helmet with jeans and boots & gloves is basically the prescribed gear in this part of the country in summer. And we have some of the biggest parking lots going at commute hours. Heat kills just as well so when you ride for months in 95º+ temps ATGATT sorta goes out the window so to speak.

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fairing on my bike is pretty effective in blocking the cold air, but that blocking is not much help when it starts to get really warm. My windscreen has a vent, and I have added Baker Wings to the bike, so I am now able to deflect the air onto me deliberately when it gets warm out. But once it gets really hot, which I define as over 90 degrees, even the air blowing across my chest is not much help for the heat. I did buy a vest that is made to soak in water and then wear under my mesh jacket to provide cooling. That does work, but because I am short, the vest is a bit long on me and ends up soaking the top of my jeans, which is not very comfortable at all especially walking around off the bike.

On the other hand, if I only ride when the weather is "just right", i.e., between about 65 and 85 degrees, I probably wouldn't get to put much time at all on my motorcycle.

· Premium Member
8,511 Posts
We have been a few degrees above the record highs for about a week. I am surprised the news is not talking about it. Something like 5 to 8 F higher.
Huge flooding inland in BC. I am finally making good progress working on the boat, after being delayed by rain for too long.

UK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.