Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
I decide to get the scooter out this morning and go for a ride, despite a 42F temperature, gusting winds, and looking out like it's gonna snow. I underdress since it's been in the '60s ever day and it's just hard for me to imagine it ACTUALLY being cold out, although I do break out the full-face Arai helmet.

Yep, it's cold. My nose is running like a faucet from the cold and those thin leather gloves I wear all spring-summer-fall long aren't cutting it. Today's the day....I head down to Cycle Gear and finally purchase the heated gloves I've been wanting. One year warranty on the gloves, and the controller is built INTO the gloves, a big fat round button, 3 levels of heat...

Even unplugged, the gloves are plenty warm for today. But my legs....my chaps are in the trunk of a car that's locked up at the repair shop today. I need some tights or leggings as the wind is blowing https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/https://192168ll.link/ right through my jeans. No problem, hit the next thrift store and for $1 get a pair of womens XXL tights, royal blue. Legs are fine now -- and look SO sexy.... But the feet are freezing in the sneakers.

Thought I had a pair of boots down here at my brother's place, but no. So another thrift store, there they are, BRAND NEW cowboy boots, black, square toe...the gods of thrift shopping are with me today. Except they're size 12 and my feet rattle around in 'em. Dang it. Now I COULD put on additional pairs of socks, but...I'd probably trip they're so long.

I hit another thrift store; same story. 2 pairs of black lace-up boots, one pair of tan army boots, all size 12. The 10's and 11's come in and go right back out, the 12's and beyond....few buyers for shoes that large. I'm considering giving up and going out to the RedWing store for some new boots I looked at last time I was in Huntsville..... around $150, Vibram sole, last two lace-things are speedlaces which I prefer over eyelets...

I almost reluctantly stop at one last, little dinky thrift store that never has nuthin', and there they are. Thinsulate lined leather work boots, black, Vibram soles..... the guy behind the counter has to ask his wife how much. They converse in Spanish seemingly endlessly at which point I say "And I'll pay extra for all the mud on the bottoms of 'em." They laugh. $12 she says. A whopping $12 for some boots costing at least $150 new, and they're in almost-new condition. I put 'em on right there.

Monday I'll pick up my chaps, wire up the gloves, and with one more layer --- a vest --- I'll be ready for anything short of a blizzard.

Did i remember to take the mud-caked boots off coming into the house? Well, um, SURE WAS A GREAT RIDE!

Anyone else got the heated gloves from Cycle Gear? How do you like them?

I'm gonna have to wire up a cigarette lighter plug, USB port, AND the gloves on my S-Wing as it has no power to the fairing as-delivered. Nice excuse to spend the day in a heated garage -- tomorrow.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,889 Posts
Sounds like a fun and profitable day.

·
Premium Member
10,600 Posts
Sneakers says it all. At 42F you can stay warm enough without heated gear. 32F is a bit different. If the boots are big enough, wear 2 pairs of socks. Chaps are not the warmest gear. Full leather pants are better. Wear the ladies tights, long Johns, jeans and a good pair of rain pants. Good gloves will work in much colder weather. A good woolly is warmer than most other types of clothing, under a jacket that is one size too big. Don't forget the scarf for your neck. Stretchy neck warmer from the dollar store or wherever in your area. Cover your nose. Full face helmet to about 45F and up. Have fun.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,889 Posts
Senior moment there RG? Remember some but not all of the............damn what what I trying to say..

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.