Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decide to get the scooter out this morning and go for a ride, despite a 42F temperature, gusting winds, and looking out like it's gonna snow. I underdress since it's been in the '60s ever day and it's just hard for me to imagine it ACTUALLY being cold out, although I do break out the full-face Arai helmet.

Yep, it's cold. My nose is running like a faucet from the cold and those thin leather gloves I wear all spring-summer-fall long aren't cutting it. Today's the day....I head down to Cycle Gear and finally purchase the heated gloves I've been wanting. One year warranty on the gloves, and the controller is built INTO the gloves, a big fat round button, 3 levels of heat...

Even unplugged, the gloves are plenty warm for today. But my legs....my chaps are in the trunk of a car that's locked up at the repair shop today. I need some tights or leggings as the wind is blowing right through my jeans. No problem, hit the next thrift store and for $1 get a pair of womens XXL tights, royal blue. Legs are fine now -- and look SO sexy.... But the feet are freezing in the sneakers.

Thought I had a pair of boots down here at my brother's place, but no. So another thrift store, there they are, BRAND NEW cowboy boots, black, square toe...the gods of thrift shopping are with me today. Except they're size 12 and my feet rattle around in 'em. Dang it. Now I COULD put on additional pairs of socks, but...I'd probably trip they're so long.

I hit another thrift store; same story. 2 pairs of black lace-up boots, one pair of tan army boots, all size 12. The 10's and 11's come in and go right back out, the 12's and beyond....few buyers for shoes that large. I'm considering giving up and going out to the RedWing store for some new boots I looked at last time I was in Huntsville..... around $150, Vibram sole, last two lace-things are speedlaces which I prefer over eyelets...

I almost reluctantly stop at one last, little dinky thrift store that never has nuthin', and there they are. Thinsulate lined leather work boots, black, Vibram soles..... the guy behind the counter has to ask his wife how much. They converse in Spanish seemingly endlessly at which point I say "And I'll pay extra for all the mud on the bottoms of 'em." They laugh. $12 she says. A whopping $12 for some boots costing at least $150 new, and they're in almost-new condition. I put 'em on right there.

Monday I'll pick up my chaps, wire up the gloves, and with one more layer --- a vest --- I'll be ready for anything short of a blizzard.

Did i remember to take the mud-caked boots off coming into the house? Well, um, SURE WAS A GREAT RIDE!

Anyone else got the heated gloves from Cycle Gear? How do you like them?

I'm gonna have to wire up a cigarette lighter plug, USB port, AND the gloves on my S-Wing as it has no power to the fairing as-delivered. Nice excuse to spend the day in a heated garage -- tomorrow.

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
Should have broke out my Gerbings this morning at 38º but I couldn't believe the thermometer myself. Wasn't going too far but after 10 miles I started believing that dang thing. By the time I turned around and got back home it was up to 51º. The Gerbings are out and ready now!:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I need some tights or leggings as the wind is blowing right through my jeans. No problem, hit the next thrift store and for $1 get a pair of womens XXL tights, royal blue. Legs are fine now -- and look SO sexy.... But the feet are freezing in the sneakers.
So when my wife asks "why are you putting tights on...? I'll say "Because I'm going to ride my motorcycle in the cold cause I'm a MAN!!!

Really tho...I don't know if I could wear tights. I might try it but...I'll never tell if i do

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I rode to work and back today, as the weather dried up enough. The yellow skyball even blessed me with its presence for a minute! It was in the low 50's, and quite pleasant! I will take it :)

·
American Legion Rider
20,026 Posts
So when my wife asks "why are you putting tights on...? I'll say "Because I'm going to ride my motorcycle in the cold cause I'm a MAN!!!

Really tho...I don't know if I could wear tights. I might try it but...I'll never tell if i do
Haven't you noticed women wear hose in winter and are never any colder than men in slacks or jeans. You do what you have to when it comes to staying warm. I have a pair of winter silks that are not much more than women's white hose. They are darn good for temps in the 20's with chaps. If you are going to ride in the winter you just do what you have to. I wouldn't call it man up but more like prepare to survive.:coffee:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hit the next thrift store and for $1 get a pair of womens XXL tights, royal blue. Legs are fine now -- and look SO sexy....
Post us up a pic.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haven't you noticed women wear hose in winter and are never any colder than men in slacks or jeans. You do what you have to when it comes to staying warm. I have a pair of winter silks that are not much more than women's white hose. They are darn good for temps in the 20's with chaps. If you are going to ride in the winter you just do what you have to. I wouldn't call it man up but more like prepare to survive.:coffee:
I have a pair of riding pants that keep me plenty warm down to 10 or so. I had just never thought of tights and found that interesting.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Post us up a pic.
Ok, here ya go!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/stovepipe62/Black-Work-s.jpg

Silks are by far the best, because they're so slick they don't bunch up your jeans and you don't feel like the Michelin man with multiple layers. I usually wear black nylon "running" tights left over from my cycling days...

Tights, jeans over with chaps and a pair of knee-high PURE WOOL socks and your lower half is good to go down to 20 degrees. what I like about bundling the lower half is that then it's easy to ADJUST temp by taking layers on and off the upper half, switching to thinner gloves, opening the visor, etc.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
What a visual...:coffeescreen: :coffeescreen:

Does your wife really let you leave dressed that way???

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"Silks are by far the best, because they're so slick they don't bunch up your jeans and you don't feel like the Michelin man with multiple layers. I usually wear black nylon "running" tights left over from my cycling days..."

-There are some motorcycle places where you wouldn't want to announce that you're riding around in women's underwear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts