Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see grass clipping strewn across rural highways all the time, here in the Heartland and it is very dangerous.:surprise:

All a person has to do is point the exit chute away from the road but I swear, Ol' Bubba is proud of his clippings and wants them in the road:plain:

I was doing about 60 MPH on my Yamaha T-max 500, on a straight away when I crested a hill and there was about 4 inches of green grass, in both lanes and Fat Arse Bubba just smiling his toothless grin as he saw the look of terror on my face as I sprinted past:surprise:

I knew that if I hit my brakes, I was goin' down, especially with the small, 14 and 15 inch, radial tires on my Scoot so I just steered straight and maintained speed as I rode through!:sad:

Click on the link and read the story if you are inclined:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

https://www.westernjournal.com/l/no...b82iPvnD-vaxcFRaavrm7dylgD_yyEzONcKG40Om5vG80

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I haven't ever seen grass in the road before. It must be a bigger problem in different parts of the country. I would like to do a trip across the country one day. I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
That happens a lot around here, not to the same degree as shown in the photos in the article. Most of the time it's just the right side of the lane that has grass on it. I don't mow out by the road, but my wife gripes about it, a lot. :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
There's actually a law against leaving grass clippings on the road in SC, but I've never heard of anyone charged for it. I do know of a couple of times when a particularly egregious violation was reported to the Highway Patrol, resulting in the miscreant having to sweep the road clean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Grass on the road is a problem. Here in east Texas in rural areas, the grassy portion next to the road is usually mowed only several times a year by the state, counties or cities. This can result in a lot of slippery grass on the roadway. I have encountered this myself, fortunately on straight sections of roadways so no problem. But when unexpected in a curve the grass could be very dangerous.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
One of the reasons I don't care for riding on rural roads is it's just too damn dangerous most of the time. People no longer collect their grass clippings while riding around on their new John Deere, to them it's just easier and better to blow the grass onto the street. In Autumn it's the leaves we have to worry about as well. And in Spring time around here it is the collection of sand and gravel left over from winter that is always out to get you.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
When we ride in small groups, we use Bluetooth headsets, and the rider in front always warns of road hazards, grass and fallen leaves the worst, except when a truck hauling gravel has a spill. Keep your eyes open all the time for things like that, especially on small roads in the country, or in suburbs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A couple weeks back I encountered clippings right in the middle of a twistie (but saw it coming). Hand off the throttle and tilted the bike up to get more rubber on the road; which also reduced the centripetal force. Got through fine, but people mowing either have no sense of the danger their causing or don't give a sh-t.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
A couple weeks back I encountered clippings right in the middle of a twistie (but saw it coming). Hand off the throttle and tilted the bike up to get more rubber on the road; which also reduced the centripetal force. Got through fine, but people mowing either have no sense of the danger their causing or don't give a sh-t.
I vote for the latter, they don't give a chit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here in Tennessee, everyone blows their grass onto the road, it's crazy. I even had one of kids down the road spin out in his car, on wet grass/leaves and take out my mail box a few years ago. I pointed this out to the idiot across the road whom blew all this on the road, I got a dumb founded look. The state will even use tractors to cut the grass along the Dragon and leave the road trashed. Locals who ride the dragon usually get some blowers and a pickup and blow it off. I even asked the state about the laws on this and below is what they sent me. Technically, it's against the law but no one will ever enforce it.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-170

Tennessee Code Annotated
Title 55 Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 8 Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road
Part 1 Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road

55-8-170. Putting glass, nails and other substances on highway prohibited -- Penalty.

(a) No person shall throw or deposit upon any highway any glass bottle, glass, nails, tacks, wire, cans or any other substance likely to injure any person, animal or vehicle upon the highway.

(b) Any person who drops, or permits to be dropped or thrown, upon any highway any destructive or injurious material shall immediately remove the same or cause it to be removed.

(c) Any person removing a wrecked or damaged vehicle from a highway shall remove any glass or other injurious substance dropped upon the highway from the vehicle.

(d) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Seems fewer people think about others as each day passes. Wife and I drove our cage past a county rig on the shoulder which was cutting roadside small trees and brush with one of those rotary mowers at the end of a hydraulic arm, with no warning signs. As we slowly passed, he continued to cut. A piece of tree about 1 1/2 feet long and 3" diameter slammed against the top of my side of the windshield and the metal trim, leaving a pretty deep impression. The county paid for the damage. That could have killed a MC rider.

People who face their mower's chute toward anyone are a**holes as well. Care for a rock in your face? ;)

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
I vote for the latter, they don't give a chit.
Probably depends on where you live. Here, they just don't know and the cities don't help. Their only concern, and why they say to not do it, is it blocks up the sewer drainage system. Not one mention of it being slick for all motorists.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
Probably depends on where you live. Here, they just don't know and the cities don't help. Their only concern, and why they say to not do it, is it blocks up the sewer drainage system. Not one mention of it being slick for all motorists.
There are no drain grates on country roads to become clogged by the grass clippings. In the cities it doesn't happen.

·
Administrator
170,072 Posts
I just annoys me to the max, would love to say something to every azz I see doing it, but honestly have never had any issues in grass clipping so I just go along, fume a few seconds and move along. I really hope we don't get more illegal stuff going on, sick of every aspect of anything we don't like becoming illegal.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is Sooooooo simple to just discharge the cut grass away from the road:smile:

I see professional lawn care companies discharging their small grass clippings, weed eater clippings, edger clippings into the street by my office all the time using those backpack 'leaf blowers' and making the streets look shabby: Me; "You guys shouldn't do that!" Them; "No se hablar Engles" :smile_big::smile_big::smile_big:

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
It is Sooooooo simple to just discharge the cut grass away from the road:smile:

I see professional lawn care companies discharging their small grass clippings, weed eater clippings, edger clippings into the street by my office all the time using those backpack 'leaf blowers' and making the streets look shabby: Me; "You guys shouldn't do that!" Them; "No se hablar Engles" :smile_big::smile_big::smile_big:

Tell them to hablar up theirs.:devil:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,124 Posts
Here in Illinois it is illegal to dump grass clippings in the road, but the punishment for a violation (and I have never even heard of the police issuing a violation) is a small fine. Recently here a motorcyclist slowed down as he reached the clippings and his wife, riding on a bike behind him, was apparently too close and crashed into him, with the end result of her death. While I think the real fault lies with her riding too close to the bike in front of her, and in not wearing a helmet, indirectly it was the grass clippings in the road that precipitated the whole incident.

Reactions: Porky

·
Zip
2,906 Posts
While I think the real fault lies with her riding too close to the bike in front of her, and in not wearing a helmet, indirectly it was the grass clippings in the road that precipitated the whole incident.
I thought the same thing when I read about that incident. A child darting into the road, an oncoming motorist drifting across the center line, or any of a number of other hazards could have produced the same unfortunate result. We need to ride ready for the emergency that assuredly will happen in front of us one day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.