Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all hit stuck bolts every once in awhile. I've used loctite, a hammer, cutting them off, and just about everything else I can think of... but I figured I'd see if there's any better tools out there for pulling apart stuck bolts like the ones in the images below:

http://i.imgur.com/hy4qCAp.jpg

I so rounded that off, but I don't have a dremel to just cut it apart (before I'd use a hack saw).

Are there any tools/tips/tricks out there I should look at?

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
Sometimes you can put a super amount of force when squeezing a pair of Vise Grips closed to lock on. I've twisted bolts in two doing that. If the Vice Grips have good sharp ridges it works best. And if that doesn't work then hack saw or Dremel cut off wheel.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Although I am usually not a fan of cheap tools, for things like cutoff wheels, vice grips, hacksaws it's hard to beat Harbor Freight.

Closest one to you is

5054 DORCHESTER RD.
N CHARLESTON,SC 29418

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,348 Posts
Pb Blaster, a good set of vice grips, and a hand help torch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try to use a screw driver and a hammer.. place the phillips on the edge and use an angle where the screw driver doesn't just slip away and just keep hammering it

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A cold chisel would work better than a screwdriver. For a 20-cent nut and bolt, I would just cut the thing apart, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with dodds if cutting it is not an option. Pb blaster and vice grips mixed with a little elbow grease usually does the trick. However I have used sockets like the ones mentioned above and own a few sets of them. They work really well.

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts
Try to use a screw driver and a hammer.. place the phillips on the edge and use an angle where the screw driver doesn't just slip away and just keep hammering it
A cold chisel would work better than a screwdriver. For a 20-cent nut and bolt, I would just cut the thing apart, though.
I've also used an air chisel like this^^^.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry...New to the forum and need 3 posts before I can post any new threads to ask more pressing issues...

Grinder, cut off wheel,chisel,vise grips, and so on,I guess would be pretty standard remedies for your 9 to 5 nut and bolt.But what could be recommended
for bolts in a blind thread,like exhaust manifolds and sorts?Other than break,
drill, and extract/ re-thread.I'm pretty good at the latter,but would rather not be ;).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They make a special tool for this..
called a nut splitter.
I used to have one, I haven't used one since I found WD-40!
soak it overnight with WD-40(or knockerloose), Then work it.. back and forth with two vice grips until it frees, or breaks... either one.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A cold chisel is one that is meant to work on cold metals, as opposed to a hot chisel which are designed to work on metals hot out of a forge. It's an old blacksmithing term.

I've never heard of a cole chisel.

·
American Legion Rider
20,086 Posts
I'd like to see where you got the Cole name. I might(but I doubt it) learn something.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yep, that wheel of death gets alot of use at Joe's garage. There's a new product out now called "Freeze Off" it works better than PB Blaster. Both products are good but Freeze off seems to work better.

When all else fails, Joe grabs the torches....that's when you know its bad....

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Is that a ground wire connector? If you really have problems, you can put a new connector at the end of the wire and just cut wire right below the connector and toss nut and connector too....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts