Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm seriously considering giving up motorcycles and switching entirely to scooters.

So I thought I'd see what my 2008 Kawasaki Concours was worth, according to local Craigslist ads.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/mca?is_paid=all&search_distance_type=mi&query=kawasaki+concours

turns out....NEXT TO NOTHING!

I don't think there's any bike out there that depreciates faster than a Concours. Holy smokes you can buy 'em all day long with VERY low miles for under $6K.

Why?

Is it too "specialty" a bike?

Not "fit" enough riders? (Ya need to be 5'10") to flat-foot it.

Poor reputation? I dunno, everybody I read about who owns one loves it... reliable, fast...

Abuse? Unlike a Ninja, I doubt it. The guys who buy Concours tend to be older, touring riders, not guys doing wheelies and stoppies.

Is it just that anyone who can afford a USED Connie can likely, also, afford a NEW one --- including the protection of a factory warranty?

I suspect the key to re-selling a high end bike is EXTENDING the factory warranty for 5 years, which can be done fairly cheaply. (with a transferrable warranty, of course)

The guy who bought my OLD Connie (a 2009 with 36k) was a Kawasaki tech who stated he absolutely bought it because of the extension --- he would get paid to work on his own bike, lol.

Instead, owners finish up the 2 year warranty and sell 'em without ever having done a thing to 'em, no tires, factory service, and that may even include oil changes.

Even if the bike is pristine, if it's got bald tires, that should be a warning to a prospective buyer: This owner may have done NOTHING!

Might be better off buying the bike with 30k miles that the owner has put $3000 worth of farkles on, actually ridden, and serviced. To me, a full fluids change, including brake fluid, is the fountain of youth for bikes.

So what bikes do you see selling dirt cheap, used, what bikes hold their value better --- and why?

Clearly, crotch rockets, because of the abuse most endure, re-sell cheap....

Anyone else want to throw a blanket statement out there about some make or style of bike and why they resell hi/lo?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The market is what it is. Simple huh?
Extended warranty is meaningless on most bikes. If they are going to fail it will likely be in the first year and 10000 miles. I would take a chance on any bike that has both the time and the miles on it. Time only matters to a small extent. Any garage queen that has not been ridden will have no warranty claims simply because nobody got it out to ride it enough to actually find any problems.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mid-Winter bike discounts in effect

Been looking at scooters, and prices are rock-bottom here in the middle of the winter.

09 Yamaha T-max (500) with 3500 miles for $2750

05 Silverwing ABS with 12K miles for $2500

Hog's 12 Burgman Exec for $6000

34 degrees here in Phoenix this morning. Even the snowbirds are huddling inside for warmth.

We were gonna head back up to Laughlin for another $15 prime rib tomorrow but if it doesn't warm up....might scratch that plan.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I got a new truck, I'll come to Phoenix to pick it up.......or if you can wait till Apr my wife could drive me out in her car and I could ride it back

thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
@anybike, you can even think of hiring a hauling company for this purpose. In the last week, my neighbour bought their Kawasaki using the service of the vehicle shipping company. My neighbour told me that the company is reliable and the services they provide is excellent and also with the fair hauling prize.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts