Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a motorcycle I am working on currently in many pieces, including the forks.

They have been sitting for years so I figured I would need to replace the fork oil. I removed the drain bolt from both forks. While one fork started leaking oil, the other did not.

The fork that leaked oil was able to be compressed, but I couldn't compress the other one even the slightest bit.

Is this because it's clogged up? What can I do to fix this issue because I'm completely lost.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
One might have been completely empty of oil already and seized up. It may also be that the drain is clogged with some contamination.

It's going to be hard to say what's going on inside the fork tube without taking it apart. That would be the next step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dodsfall, even though I'm not entirely sure I can take them apart myself. At least I've got an idea now.

On a side note: When I'm reinstalling the steering stem (thing with all the bearings), is it necessary to regrease it? If so, can I just use any old grease laying around?

And same question for the axels (front and back). If you could help me out with that question you'd be doing me a huge favor.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Old bearings should be cleaned, inspected and re-greased. They should be replaced if signs of wear are present.

Many times wheel bearings are sealed and should be replaced if there is play in them.

You should check the manual for the correct type of grease to use.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I'll just add: Don't forget to check the steering head bearing pre-load, (which is also sometimes called, "fall away,") and the axle bearing end play. The first could cause steering difficulty or failure, and the second could cause a seized wheel bearing while riding.

You'll likely need a shop manual for your bike though, since the exact procedures and specifications are different from bike to bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys all this info really helps me out. Hmm yeah I should think about getting a manual for it haha.

Update on the stuck fork: I took a closer look at it, and honestly I think it's just crudded up really bad. Is the only option to tear it apart?

Also the airbox on my motorcycle doesn't have a gasket right now, the one it came with was rotted and VERY unusable. But BikeBandit doesn't have that part for sale, so I assume it's discontinued. Is that gasket absolutely necessary?

If so how can I fix that issue?

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I think it's just crudded up really bad. Is the only option to tear it apart?
-It's the only good option. Any other "fix" would likely leave little particles of crud in the fork where they could block up one of the tiny little holes in your damper assembly at the worst possible time.

Also the airbox on my motorcycle doesn't have a gasket right now, the one it came with was rotted and VERY unusable. But BikeBandit doesn't have that part for sale, so I assume it's discontinued. Is that gasket absolutely necessary?
That's what helps keep dirty, abrasive particles in the un-filtered air out of your engine. No, you don't NEED it, but it will certainly help your engines to last longer. Depending on the complexity of the shape of the gasket you can try buying a roll of gasket material from an auto parts store and cut your own, or try some Permatex gasket maker in a tube.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly don't know how to take apart these forks though :\

I've looked up videos and most forks have a bolt that can be removed on top. With my Honda CM400C (1981), there isn't a bolt or anything I see a tool can help me with.

Fixing these forks are one of the worst problems I've run into so far!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts

Have you taken bolt 28 out yet? Some Honda forks of that era will just come apart after you do, but some you will also have to remove snap ring 15 and forcefully extend the fork, sort of a slide hammer motion, to pull out one of the bushings. The upper tube will separate with the fork bushings. I don't know which type your bike is..

Edit: Of course, if you're having trouble compressing the forks to begin with, this might make taking them apart a bit difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cmonSTART, that's the exact model I have right there. Thanks for the reassurance.

I tried to remove bolt 28 but even with leverage it wouldn't budge. Seriously considering buying a used fork to replace this one. And yeah this fork won't compress AT ALL, It basically won't move any.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
You might have to.

Generally I have to use an air gun to remove bolt 28 - even without the forks being stuck. It's usually stuck in with either loc-tite or silicone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts