Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an interesting situation:

In the Philippines, there was/is a contest of wills between the Government and the people (not so unusual, anywhere), with regard to the Governments desire to implement mandatory "Motorcycle Lanes" on the roads there.

Obviously this raised some eyebrows, and apparently, as in any situation, some were "for" it, and some were "against" it.

In this case, THIS video is a news program in which the person being interviewed was/is a rider, and was against the "Motorcycle Lane" implementation.

I wonder (although I don't think it's true) if there are any places here in the States, where a mandatory "Motorcycle Lane" exists on our roads. So far, I haven't seen any, but I suppose it's possible.

What if the Government (State or Federal) decided to do this here? I see the benefit, but also the inherant problems, as I'm sure you do too.

Here's the news video: (skip ahead to the 2:00 minute mark for the meat of the discussion)

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I can understand why they don't like it.....it basically restricts them to one lane and don't stop cars, trucks, and buses from being there (from what I could understand anyway) it may say that the cars and such aren't allowed.....but they are not enforcing that part....

a bike is a motor vehicle, the road is for motor vehicles, all of the road

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And of course the "elephant in the room" in this case, is the massive amount of motorcycles in the Philippines.

We don't have anywhere's NEAR the congestion that they have!

-Soupy

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
When people stop waving at other because you see motorcycles all around you every day, then we can start worrying about motorcycle lanes.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow so the intended rule is that all motorcycles HAVE to stay in that 1 lane, and other motorists CANNOT use that lane? Except of course to cross the street for upcoming turns?

Umm nope that wouldn't wash very well in Canada, but like you said Soupy things are quite different in the Philippines.

I wonder if there are a lot of car drivers also upset about this special motorbike lane?

In case people are unfamiliar with the traffic clogs in the Philippines, check this out. Skip to 4:00 to see some of the bike congestion. Unbelievable!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Some countries have had problems with the motorcycle lanes because people will lie in wait to knock off the riders and steal their bikes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Public transportation systems have not been successful in the Philippines, hence why you see what you do on their roads. If they had a successfully implemented public transportation system like the bus, subway, or train, then they would have another method of diverting traffic.

Creating mass transport is initially expensive but highly reduces the amount of cars, motorcycles, etc on the roadway. I can't imagine a life without the subway system in the big cities.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Jimminy Crickets, I'll never complain about traffic jams here again!!! That's just insane!! I'd get instant road rage driving there!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts